Is this soil safe for monitors?

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Its cruel to keep ANY monitor species in a tank without a deep enough substrate for them to burrow. This is doubly true for ackies.

I use plain jane top soil mixed with a little sand/eco/mulch and it works wonders. You can find top soil at any of the big box stores or gardening centers in your area.
you're clearly not familiar with gastrointestinal impaction.....

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
You've clearly never owned a Varanid :)
I'm so close to flaming the hell out of you.

I had my 1st Varanid before you were BORN, and was catching venomous snakes before you were in PRESCHOOL.

If you want to learn I will teach you, but don't think that because you're a mod that changes anything.

Just ask me if you don't know the answer, don't pretend its "cruel" , because you're insulting a LOT of Monitor owners and breeders out there.

Not to mention the risk of mites and parasites that come with using certain types of substrate.

rank amateurs.

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
Flame on my friend. I emplore you to find ANYONE, never mind a breeder, who is keeping happy and healthy monitor lizards on reptile carpet or rabbit food. Just because you've been doing it longer doesn't mean you've been doing it correctly all those years.

I'm so close to flaming the hell out of you.

I had my 1st Varanid before you were BORN, and was catching venomous snakes before you were in PRESCHOOL.

If you want to learn I will teach you, but don't think that because you're a mod that changes anything.

Just ask me if you don't know the answer, don't pretend its "cruel" , because you're insulting a LOT of Monitor owners and breeders out there.

Not to mention the risk of mites and parasites that come with using certain types of substrate.

rank amateurs.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Flame on my friend. I emplore you to find ANYONE, never mind a breeder, who is keeping happy and healthy monitor lizards on reptile carpet or rabbit food. Just because you've been doing it longer doesn't mean you've been doing it correctly all those years.
You young kids and this damn generation of noobs - Google right at your fingertips, anything you want to know just type it in and press search, and let's not forget everyone getting the "online degrees" with no actual hands-on experience. GOD I see sooooooo many overnight experts it makes me sick.

When I started in this hobby, and we wanted to learn something, we spent hours reading things called BOOKS.

Well, I guess everyone who owns Monitor lizards that doesn't have topsoil, their lizards are gonna DIE, right? GEE, what's keeping them from swallowing it and getting impacted? What's preventing mite-outbreaks?

shookONES

MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
Shame on me for living in the Information Age LOL.

I'm not saying they'll die, but, much like an inmate at Rikers, it becomes a quality of life issue. Sure they can survive, but thrive? I don't think so.

You young kids and this damn generation of noobs - Google right at your fingertips, anything you want to know just type it in and press search, and let's not forget everyone getting the "online degrees" with no actual hands-on experience. GOD I see sooooooo many overnight experts it makes me sick.

When I started in this hobby, and we wanted to learn something, we spent hours reading things called BOOKS.

Well, I guess everyone who owns Monitor lizards that doesn't have topsoil, their lizards are gonna DIE, right? GEE, what's keeping them from swallowing it and getting impacted? What's preventing mite-outbreaks?

Last edited:

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Shame on me for living in the Information Age LOL.

I'm not saying they'll die, but, much like an inmate at Rikers, it becomes a quality of life issue. Sure they can survive, but thrive? I don't think so.
How do you know if they are happy? Did you ask them?

And you still didn't answer my questions. You are doing more harm than good w/ substrates for 90% of reptiles and a lot of amphibians, but don't take my advice, I only have 30 years experience and was mentored for 20 of them.

shookONES

MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
If you've ever owned a monitor lizard (which I'm seriously doubting) you'll know that you're dealing with a higher level of intelligence than your average herp (maybe leopard geckos or ball pythons are more your speed, judging by your posts). Monitor lizards are highly intelligent animals very conscious of they're environment. They need both physical and mental stimuli for a healthy life.

If you're content keeping these animals in a barren 5 sided box, that's your prerogative. But please, don't come posting in a public forum under the veil of intelligence: that's irresponsible.

You have to be stupid to ask me about impaction. Varanids are the product of millions of years of evolution. If you think they build their burrows in rabbit pellets in the wild, you're delusional. I'm half tempted to post your commentary on one of the Varanid FB groups for a good laugh.

How do you know if they are happy? Did you ask them?

And you still didn't answer my questions. You are doing more harm than good w/ substrates for 90% of reptiles and a lot of amphibians, but don't take my advice, I only have 30 years experience and was mentored for 20 of them.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
If you've ever owned a monitor lizard (which I'm seriously doubting) you'll know that you're dealing with a higher level of intelligence than your average herp (maybe leopard geckos or ball pythons are more your speed, judging by your posts). Monitor lizards are highly intelligent animals very conscious of they're environment. They need both physical and mental stimuli for a healthy life.

If you're content keeping these animals in a barren 5 sided box, that's your prerogative. But please, don't come posting in a public forum under the veil of intelligence: that's irresponsible.

You have to be stupid to ask me about impaction. Varanids are the product of millions of years of evolution. If you think they build their burrows in rabbit pellets in the wild, you're delusional. I'm half tempted to post your commentary on one of the Varanid FB groups for a good laugh.
So you're now calling people liars, hurling insults and threatening to post MY comments on MFK on another site which I am not a member of? How did you even BECOME a Moderator? That's mature. You still didn't answer my questions, just gave smart remarks rather. I think you need to go back to the drawing board and start learning about them from information you DIDN'T find by Googling.

Also, Why it is NOW you decide to give your input once other people have already tried helping the OP, and why is your name not on any of the OTHER posts in this section. As a moderator you should be the one taking the initiative to giv more help to people in this part of the forum, instead of leaving ME to clean-up all nonsense, and poor advice given on reptiles.

Why don't you participate in the ID games and help more members that post in this section if you're so knowledgeable and omnipresent? Overnight-pros are part of the reason I left the business and I don't regret doing it.

Fishkeepers seem so much more enlightened and cordial and respectful. lol First thing you ever said to me was a rude ignorant remark.

If you can't answer the questions I asked, I will assume you don't know and this conversation is over.

shookONES

MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
Don't be so sensitive. It's just the Internet.

I don't venture to this side of the forum too often, but don't let that be an indicator of my involvement in the reptilian side of things. No overnight professional here, I'm friend.

And maybe I'm missing it, but what question are you asking? I'm happy to swap notes, but on the issue of substrate and monitors, I won't be swayed. We'll battle until the end of time :)

So you're now calling people liars, hurling insults and threatening to post MY comments on MFK on another site which I am not a member of? How did you even BECOME a Moderator? That's mature. You still didn't answer my questions, just gave smart remarks rather. I think you need to go back to the drawing board and start learning about them from information you DIDN'T find by Googling.

Also, Why it is NOW you decide to give your input once other people have already tried helping the OP, and why is your name not on any of the OTHER posts in this section. As a moderator you should be the one taking the initiative to giv more help to people in this part of the forum, instead of leaving ME to clean-up all nonsense, and poor advice given on reptiles.

Why don't you participate in the ID games and help more members that post in this section if you're so knowledgeable and omnipresent? Overnight-pros are part of the reason I left the business and I don't regret doing it.

Fishkeepers seem so much more enlightened and cordial and respectful. lol First thing you ever said to me was a rude ignorant remark.

If you can't answer the questions I asked, I will assume you don't know and this conversation is over.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store