Is this soil safe for monitors?

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Don't be so sensitive. It's just the Internet.

I don't venture to this side of the forum too often, but don't let that be an indicator of my involvement in the reptilian side of things. No overnight professional here, I'm friend.

And maybe I'm missing it, but what question are you asking? I'm happy to swap notes, but on the issue of substrate and monitors, I won't be swayed. We'll battle until the end of time :)
like I said, i'm done with this conversation, my best friend died this morning and I don't have time to waste on people who can't be helped. There's a reason everyone seeks out ME when they need help with reptiles and amphibians, not YOU.

Now if you don't mind, my services are needed elsewhere, in threads where people actually WANT help.

As a Mod you may want to start demonstrating your professionalism in this section of the forums if you want to have any credibility

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
like I said, i'm done with this conversation, my best friend died this morning and I don't have time to waste on people who can't be helped. There's a reason everyone seeks out ME when they need help with reptiles and amphibians, not YOU.

Now if you don't mind, my services are needed elsewhere, in threads where people actually WANT help.

As a Mod you may want to start demonstrating your professionalism in this section of the forums if you want to have any credibility
He's not a mod, you dimwit.

you're clearly not familiar with gastrointestinal impaction.....
I'm speaking more from a "rank amateur" mind but if substrate can be impacted why can't literally anything else be impacted? Wouldn't impaction happen in nature if a monitor eats anything off the ground?

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
He's not a mod, you dimwit.

I'm speaking more from a "rank amateur" mind but if substrate can be impacted why can't literally anything else be impacted? Wouldn't impaction happen in nature if a monitor eats anything off the ground?
yes, but they live 1/2 as long in nature as well....

How is he not a Mod.....only Staff can change their user title, right?

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Sorry that this question led to a mini war lol, however for now I'm going the dirt route, however I always kept lizards on carpet for the most part just trying soil also because I notice my ackie still terrified of me, hard to keep the tank high humidity side even with ecoearth. Will see how it goes, also going to switch him with the bearded dragon for now, so he will be higher off the floor, my height level so maybe he will calm down more. Also he doesn't have a strong appetite at all compared to my dragon so hopefully change of environment and tank placement will help him settle. In a day or two I should have him moved on the new tank once the paint fully dries and airs out

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
Sorry that this question led to a mini war lol, however for now I'm going the dirt route, however I always kept lizards on carpet for the most part just trying soil also because I notice my ackie still terrified of me, hard to keep the tank high humidity side even with ecoearth. Will see how it goes, also going to switch him with the bearded dragon for now, so he will be higher off the floor, my height level so maybe he will calm down more. Also he doesn't have a strong appetite at all compared to my dragon so hopefully change of environment and tank placement will help him settle. In a day or two I should have him moved on the new tank once the paint fully dries and airs out
Post some pics of his current enclosure. Maintaining proper humidity is the hardest part of caring for these large Varanids. If using a glass aquarium, use glass tops. You'll never be able to maintain humidity with screen tops.

And don't worry about his skittish nature. Like I said earlier, these animals are nothing like their brainless reptilian counterparts. It will take some time before he learns your routine and becomes comfortable with you. Two pieces of advice in that regard: feed using tongs and NEVER pull him out of his enclosure if he's not ready to come out on his own.

Frank Castle Frank Castle I'm not a mod man. They just pick on me from time to time.

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Thanks guys!! Btw I think the soil is great!!! It is premixed with sand already, I called the company and everything checked out there isn't anything in there not safe or organic. It clumps very well, he looks so much more happier, he already made his first burrow. Tomorrow I will try to post a pic, if i can do it thru my phone it would be easier. Not sure how lol on my lapop is hard because half my screen is damaged lol

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
Thanks guys!! Btw I think the soil is great!!! It is premixed with sand already, I called the company and everything checked out there isn't anything in there not safe or organic. It clumps very well, he looks so much more happier, he already made his first burrow. Tomorrow I will try to post a pic, if i can do it thru my phone it would be easier. Not sure how lol on my lapop is hard because half my screen is damaged lol
Glad to hear. I'm also a huge proponent for a cleanup crew. I've got a decent colony of isopods and springtails in my Quince's enclosure that does wonders for sanitation. I rarely have the opportunity to spot clean as the bugs dispose of it with haste.

I also picked up the habit of turning over the substrate every week or two. I figure it'll prevent soil from clumping up and it gives the monitor something to do while I'm away at work.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store