is this tank big enough?

teguc1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2007
eugene, Or
why is his suggestion funny? I am not tryin to be an a$% but just want to know. I haven't seen a ray in my parts for over a year.

Alex.P

Feeder Fish
Apr 17, 2007
London
teguc1;816807; said:
why is his suggestion funny? I am not tryin to be an a$% but just want to know. I haven't seen a ray in my parts for over a year.
I didn't mean to p$%s you off. The rays that he is offering are really cheap but even if you could house them all they would cost at least $40/$60 a week. If you have friends who want other fish or even rays, maybe you could do a group order.
Alex

teguc1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2007
eugene, Or
You didn't piss me off. I just didn't understand the comment. I am trying to figure out what is best for my situation. I am thinking that I will probably get 2 motoros. That sounds pretty good, and then maybe a black aro or a jardini. Haven't decided on the other fish yet. I know I need to get a sugar like substrate, which means I'll be gettin rid of my lava rock:( but it will be for a good cause, RAYS:headbang2

AttackFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2007
Torrance
Dont get a Jardini Arowana. You will regret it. Once they reach the 6 inch mark, they become killers. Some people have kept them in communities, and sometimes, the jardini just kills every fish in the tank. It would be quite nasty if your jardini decided to attack a stingray.

Im actually doing an aro/stingray tank. Im buying a 180g from Glasscages and Im getting two Motoro's and a Black arowana. The 180 will be used as a grow out for the rays and aro and they will then be moved into a 300gallon after a year or two.

But please dont get a Jardini, they make better fish when they are by themselves then in a community.

Also, I wouldnt put the black in the 220 for life. Some people say all they need is 200 gallons but thats BS.

An arowana is going to get 3ft+, I have heard of them gorwing 4ft in aquaria but it is rare for them to pass 4ft and very wide and very long tank is best for them.

Also, Jardinis require a tank of atleast 225 gallons to be housed alone as they have a larger turning radius and cant turn as sharp as say a silver or black aro can.

I dont know if you already knew this but I just wanted to tell you anyway...

Alex.P

Feeder Fish
Apr 17, 2007
London
Two motoros and a black arowana sounds great.:)
Alex

teguc1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2007
eugene, Or
thanks for the aro adivice. I bought a 7" Jardini about 6 months ago, threw him in wiht my cichlids. Everything was great for about 3 weeks. Then woke up to go to work and the Jar was dead. That tank has 2 dovii, 2 jags, a mayan, salvini, rainbow, pleco, cat, and a front. It can get pretty wild. Will never put a jar or any other aro in with that mix of cichlids again! Am kinda bored of cichlids and looking for something more exotic, hense RAYS! But will probably keep the Dovii in a seperate tank. They are just too cool!

AttackFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2007
Torrance
Dude... No wonder its wild. You have two Dovii's in that small of a tank, and two jags! Are you taking out all of the cichlids before you put the rays? I would take out the pleco and cat to, they dont do well with rays.

If I were you, I would just get a male and female motoro and try to get them to breed. You'd make pretty decent money from motoro pups.

Whatever you plan to do,m I hope it works out for you. Post pics too! Once I get my tank et up Im posting pics everywere. I cant seem to pind any pics of rays with aro's on MFK though.

teguc1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2007
eugene, Or
wo there partner! I didn't say it was wild, in fact my fish defy all normal logic. They all live very peacefully until...........therer are fry. THen it gets wild. The trick I have found is introducing them together at a small or like size, then they will establish the hierarchy without killing one another. I used to have some pics and am looking for them.

Yes, my cichlids will be sacrificed to the Ray and Aro gods. I will get good trade in value at my LFS and put it towards an Aro then order a Ray, or two.:grinno:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store