Is this the end?

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Best idea .
BTW how is the chocolate with the plants?
No uprooting? No digging?
As mentioned, my new 120g isn't planted, just gravel, rocks and wood.

However, my old 180g tank was planted though, and whilst my choc was in that it never touched any plants, moved decor, or dug any holes.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I was sat quietly in front of my new 120g earlier pondering. Lights are on quite low and it is dark outside, so no window light to scare the fish.

It looks very peaceful, but in reality, during daylight hours, I can't get near this tank without my beardless barbs and clowns "erupting".

And yet my chocolate cichlid loves it in there. Always at the glass seeing what's going on. So I've decided at weekend I'm going to drop the water level right down and net it. My clowns and barbs will go in my 360.

The only fish to stay in my new 120 will be my choc, a rescue angel fish and my wife's kissing gourami. I might, in time add a red shoulder severum in there too.

Here is a picture of my gorgeous choc enjoying its new surroundings. The colours on this still young fish are amazing. The others won't behave so they're all in for a shock on Saturday when they go in the big boy tank.

IMG_20211111_185810_HDR.jpg

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Delightful! You are going to love that stove. :)

I had to smile when I saw that perfect neat stack of planed hardwood lumber next to the stove. Is that referred to as "firewood" in Britain? :) I won't show a pic of my firewood stack; it looks like what it is, i.e. a pile of tree trunks cut into 18-inch lengths. Need to work off some stress? Grab the axe and start splitting...

And that Chocolate is gorgeous! I've honestly never seen a picture of a Chocolate Cichlid that made me wish I had one until now. I recall reading about that fish when you first got it, and wondering what the appeal of the species was to so many people. That pic explains it. Nice! :)

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Delightful! You are going to love that stove. :)

I had to smile when I saw that perfect neat stack of planed hardwood lumber next to the stove. Is that referred to as "firewood" in Britain?
Lol. I knew you of all people would like my little pile of "splinters".

At work we get maybe 3-4 bulk skips a month of wood scrap from a company who we also take a hell of a lot of plastic scrap from. Within these skips are literally thousands of 2' lengths of 3x3 and 4x4 lumber. Chopped in half they are perfect free fuel for my burner.

The most attractive decision maker as to whether we got this wood burner or not was the fact I knew we had free fuel at work. Without the free wood we wouldn't have gone ahead with it. Kiln dried logs are available yes, but they're not cheap. Coal too, but again not cheap, and besides coal is being phased out over the next few years.

I imagine, living in Canada, land of the tree, that you have a free limitless supply of logs? Please don't tell me you buy them!

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
What terrific good luck...free wood! Word of advice, make sure that you don't ever burn pressure-treated stuff; everything in that pic is obviously not, but scraps of that might show up and should be avoided. Back in Ontario I had a local lumberyard that would leave stacks of used wooden pallets by the road, free for the taking. I was taking!

Here in Manitoba, during years when I have worked a lot of hours in the north, I have indeed bought wood, pre-cut to length, requiring only splitting. When you are away from home for 3 weeks at a stretch and then home for only one, believe me, there are more pressing things (family, fish, beer, etc.) to occupy your time than plying a chainsaw all day. In more recent years, I have moved more and more towards semi-retirement, so I have plenty of time and have been cutting my own. I have assembled a nice little collection of axes, mauls, hatchets and other wood-splitting tools and very much enjoy splitting my own; I will never come to enjoy the actual cutting.

Land of the tree? Yes, we have lots of trees...all of which grow on land which belongs to someone. You can't just stop your truck at a likely spot, hop out with a chainsaw and start felling trees! I live on just over 100acres, most of which is treed, so I am able to selectively cut my own trees and improve the property for deer and wildlife while feeding my woodstove at the same time. Win/win.

Enjoy the lovely fragrance, wonderful dry heat and crackling sound of that nice new stove!

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
What terrific good luck...free wood!
Yes, but you've heard the old adage, "all good things come to an end". I just hope it never applies to my wood collecting activities!

If it does I'm up s**t creek without a paddle. And then the sofa, and the wife's shoes, hell, anything that burns, will all become fair game, lol.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
That's a spectacular Chocolate.
My LFS currently has a couple for sale. I've never kept Chocolates. Are they incompatible with Denison & Filamentosa Barbs?
Mine has been with all sorts, including the two species you mention. I never witnessed any trouble at all, though I will say if their tankmates are particularly small, they may get eaten!! Mine snaffled a couple of my Odessa barbs. Other than that it's brilliant, plant friendly too.

If I add a red shoulder severum, as I plan to, I'm not sure how it'll react to another cichlid though. I'll find out soon enough.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store