Is this uncommon?

AG458

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2017
My new indo dat has seven stripes on one side, and five and a half stripes on the other. K krichardson pointed this out, and I've been wondering ever since. I've attached pics for you all to see. What do you think?
IMG_4378.JPG IMG_4379.JPG IMG_4364.JPG

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
It is pretty common with that species of datnioides.They can be found to have a wide range of stripe patterns with the most popular being the three stripes on each side....sort of like a "poor man's pulcher" and prices for those are all over the place lol.

Reactions: AG458 and tlindsey

AG458

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2017
K krichardson FunWow! FunWow! Thank you both for your input! I just didn't know if they were supposed to be symmetrical or something like that. On a side note, mine likes hiding a lot on the inner roof of my cave. It's kind of like he's floating, but he's not. Is this normal?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
K krichardson FunWow! FunWow! Thank you both for your input! I just didn't know if they were supposed to be symmetrical or something like that. On a side note, mine likes hiding a lot on the inner roof of my cave. It's kind of like he's floating, but he's not. Is this normal?
Yes,the hiding is normal as well.Dats are ambush predators in the wild and they seem most comfortable when peeking out from some form of cover.
I dont provide very much cover for my dats but I keep their tanks dimly lit as a bit of a compromise

Reactions: FunWow!

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Typically symmetrical paterns are most in demand but there area few collecting more odd ball, unsymmetrical patterns. As far as your fish laying flat, can be normal especially when housed with larger fish. Personally my dats dont hide at all but have heard reports of them doing so. How many dats are you housing and what are the other tank mates?

AG458

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2017
Typically symmetrical paterns are most in demand but there area few collecting more odd ball, unsymmetrical patterns. As far as your fish laying flat, can be normal especially when housed with larger fish. Personally my dats dont hide at all but have heard reports of them doing so. How many dats are you housing and what are the other tank mates?
I'm currently housing one dat. His tank mates are: an endlicheri bichir, a juvenile temensis pbass, and a common pleco. For a small fish, he stands his ground and is very territorial to anyone who takes up his space.

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
Yeah it's very common for your dat to hide the way he is. I have one tank with 5 dats...14inch to 3inch and all are always trying to claim a spot in the tank. Even if they can't fit in the spot but some days no one hides. Have another tank with just 1 with no decor and it will try to blend into the corner of the tank and sand to the point my rays cup it and it will still not move. Then I have another tank with one 3incher that is always out trying to steal food from my clown loaches. I've had them try hiding in dips in my gravel also when I've taken away all their places to hide lol. The bigger and older they get the more comfortable they are out and about too I've noticed.

Reactions: AG458

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yeah it's very common for your dat to hide the way he is. I have one tank with 5 dats...14inch to 3inch and all are always trying to claim a spot in the tank. Even if they can't fit in the spot but some days no one hides. Have another tank with just 1 with no decor and it will try to blend into the corner of the tank and sand to the point my rays cup it and it will still not move. Then I have another tank with one 3incher that is always out trying to steal food from my clown loaches. I've had them try hiding in dips in my gravel also when I've taken away all their places to hide lol. The bigger and older they get the more comfortable they are out and about too I've noticed.
Do you have your tank lights on throughout the day?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store