yep im only keep new world tropical fish as well
probably going to try a old world aquarium next then a saltwater

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I agree with what people have said so far; brasiliensis not a great match for your fish, and though you could probably keep the tetras/hemiodus with no problem, they won't be necessary in their role as dithers, since the fish will likely feel comfortable already as there are a lot of them. I think a trio of acaras would be good replacement for the geos, as I agree a group of Sveni would be a but much with all the others you listed in a 180. There are other acara species and SA dwarfs you could look into, Tangled up in Cichlids is a great supplier and they have a bunch right now.

Reactions: tlindsey

bkfamus

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2020
I agree with what people have said so far; brasiliensis not a great match for your fish, and though you could probably keep the tetras/hemiodus with no problem, they won't be necessary in their role as dithers, since the fish will likely feel comfortable already as there are a lot of them. I think a trio of acaras would be good replacement for the geos, as I agree a group of Sveni would be a but much with all the others you listed in a 180. There are other acara species and SA dwarfs you could look into, Tangled up in Cichlids is a great supplier and they have a bunch right now.
Thanks for the feedback! I'll take sveni and brasiliensis off the list..

I've been checking TUIC, COTA, Aquascapeonline and the Wet Spot daily for the last 6 months.. Just hope they still have the ones I want when my tanks are up and ready.. I'm pretty sure COTA will not still have the Stalsbergi when my 240 is cycled... I'm transferring AC 110 filters from my current tanks for the 75's and to jump start the 180, but plan to run two FX6's on the 180 concurrently w/ the AC's to hopefully expedite the cycle..

So re: the acaras, I was thinking of some of the other ones too... I see TUIC has the atabapo, patricki and biseriatus.. Do you know if they're all similar in size and behavior to the pulcher?

Also, do you think i should just go with just two groups of cichlids, the rotkeils and either the guianacara or acara, or is my stocking ok with 6 rotkeil, a trio of acara and a quartet (if sexable) of guianacara. I prefer to be understocked than risk overstocking. If my stocking is ok, will I need to get 6 of each group of acara than pare down? If my stocking is too much should i go with 6 each of two species?

Appreciate any advice you can provide...

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Thanks for the feedback! I'll take sveni and brasiliensis off the list..

I've been checking TUIC, COTA, Aquascapeonline and the Wet Spot daily for the last 6 months.. Just hope they still have the ones I want when my tanks are up and ready.. I'm pretty sure COTA will not still have the Stalsbergi when my 240 is cycled... I'm transferring AC 110 filters from my current tanks for the 75's and to jump start the 180, but plan to run two FX6's on the 180 concurrently w/ the AC's to hopefully expedite the cycle..

So re: the acaras, I was thinking of some of the other ones too... I see TUIC has the atabapo, patricki and biseriatus.. Do you know if they're all similar in size and behavior to the pulcher?

Also, do you think i should just go with just two groups of cichlids, the rotkeils and either the guianacara or acara, or is my stocking ok with 6 rotkeil, a trio of acara and a quartet (if sexable) of guianacara. I prefer to be understocked than risk overstocking. If my stocking is ok, will I need to get 6 of each group of acara than pare down? If my stocking is too much should i go with 6 each of two species?

Appreciate any advice you can provide...
I think either option would be viable, the acaras and guanacara do not get all that big. If you wanted to be on the side of understocking though, I would go with the two groups. If you go that route I do feel like some large tetras etc would look nice with the cichlids.

bkfamus

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2020
I think either option would be viable, the acaras and guanacara do not get all that big. If you wanted to be on the side of understocking though, I would go with the two groups. If you go that route I do feel like some large tetras etc would look nice with the cichlids.
Awesome! Thanks much for the feedback! So I'll either go with option (a) 6 rotkeils, a trio of acaras and a trio or quartet of guianacara or option (b) 6 rotkeils, maybe 4 - 6 acara or guianacara and a school of hemiodous or colombian tetras..

I'm stoked to start my build.. Just gave away like 75 of my current smaller stock of dwarf cichlids, tetras, otos and whipitail catfish to a friend this morning.. giving away a few more dwarfs, tetras and catfish this week before my move on Thursday... looking forward to my new set up w/ larger cichlids..

bkfamus

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2020
So I've got all 4 75's up and running and I'm currently cycling the 180.. For the CA 75's I got 7 sajica and 5 colombian tetras in one, and 8 meeki (Coba) in the other.. and my original dwarf / tetra communities in the 2 SA 75's.

I keep revising my planned stock for the 180..

Current plan:
  • (6) Rotkeil Severum (Heros sp. 'rotkeil') (24 – 28°C) (6-7PH) (1-2M)
  • (6) Peru Altums “Pterophyllum scalare” WC WS AC or Manacapuru Angelfish (24 – 30°C) (6-8PH)
  • (6) Geophagus
    • tapajos “Red Head” (26 – 30 °C) (4.5-7.5PH) TUIC ASO or
    • tapajos ll “megasema” (22 – 30°C) (5.5-7.5PH)

I plan on starting with all juveniles (~2-3"), although I've been having trouble finding younger tapajos.. While I think this is the safest stock in terms of bioload / compatibility, I'm still curious if I can add anything else.. If possible, I'm considering either 1 chocolate, 1-3 smaller acara (patricki, atabapo or pulcher) or 1-3 guianacara. I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions.. Should I stick w/ the current plan or can I add more? If I can add more, which of the proposed would be best? Or should / could I scale back the quantities in the current plan (perhaps go w/ only 4 altums) to accommodate any of the additional species?

Thanks!20210207_75 A.jpg20210207_75 B & 180.jpg20210207_180 Sand.jpg20210207_Drift Wood.jpg

Reactions: Deadeye

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
So I've got all 4 75's up and running and I'm currently cycling the 180.. For the CA 75's I got 7 sajica and 5 colombian tetras in one, and 8 meeki (Coba) in the other.. and my original dwarf / tetra communities in the 2 SA 75's.

I keep revising my planned stock for the 180..

Current plan:
  • (6) Rotkeil Severum (Heros sp. 'rotkeil') (24 – 28°C) (6-7PH) (1-2M)
  • (6) Peru Altums “Pterophyllum scalare” WC WS AC or Manacapuru Angelfish (24 – 30°C) (6-8PH)
  • (6) Geophagus
    • tapajos “Red Head” (26 – 30 °C) (4.5-7.5PH) TUIC ASO or
    • tapajos ll “megasema” (22 – 30°C) (5.5-7.5PH)

I plan on starting with all juveniles (~2-3"), although I've been having trouble finding younger tapajos.. While I think this is the safest stock in terms of bioload / compatibility, I'm still curious if I can add anything else.. If possible, I'm considering either 1 chocolate, 1-3 smaller acara (patricki, atabapo or pulcher) or 1-3 guianacara. I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions.. Should I stick w/ the current plan or can I add more? If I can add more, which of the proposed would be best? Or should / could I scale back the quantities in the current plan (perhaps go w/ only 4 altums) to accommodate any of the additional species?

Thanks!View attachment 1450511View attachment 1450512View attachment 1450513View attachment 1450514
Watch out for pairing in the 75g sajica and firemouth tanks. Once a pair is formed (and they will lol), the rest will need to be moved. Especially the sajica, but even a firemouth pair will claim the 4’. Then the bio load of 8 6” cichlids in a 75g will mean daily water changes.

bkfamus

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2020
Watch out for pairing in the 75g sajica and firemouth tanks. Once a pair is formed (and they will lol), the rest will need to be moved. Especially the sajica, but even a firemouth pair will claim the 4’. Then the bio load of 8 6” cichlids in a 75g will mean daily water changes.
Hi, thanks appreciate the advice..

Re: the sajica, I ordered 6 sajica but received 7. They're currently 1-1½”. I plan to ultimately settle on a harem depending on how many females I have and rehoming the extra males.. Or may set up a pair in one of my spare 40's in the garage... just not sure where I'd set up the tank.

Re: the firemouths, I've read here that shoals of 8 tend to work out well w/ Thorichthys.. I've got some scaping to do to create hideouts so I'm presently soaking some driftwood.. but I have some time as the firemouths are like an ½-1" currently.. I guess if it seems like it's not working I'll rehome or perhaps shift a pair to another spare 40... or add to my 180..

That's the plan anyway, but I'll keep an eye out for issues..

Do you suggest just keeping a pair or harem w/ dither in a 75? If yes, is there another cichlid I could add solo w/ the pair or harem? What size do firemouths and sajicas tend to start spawning?

Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store