Jack Dempsey help please!

Convict with convicts

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2016
Pa
My first post here, thanks for any help. Love the site. Me and my wife have been trying to get our what we thought was a male/female couple of JD's to spawn with no such success in two years. Tried all the tricks and no action lol not even egg attempts like my O's. So I'm now questioning if I sexed them correctly in first place. I'm no expert but I know the basics, blue beard on females, rounded dorsal/anal, ect. Not to mention size alone(same ageish)so what do you think our big jack and little Jacks are? Wife's telling me it's two female, a say boy/girl, just not mature yet. I have a male in a 40 breeder just waiting for some company if so. I appreciate your time and help, not to mention pro ing my wife wrong :) ✌0117162313.jpg 0117162313.jpg 0117162313a.jpg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
All 3 picks look male to me.
One of the best ways to get a spawning pair, is to buy 6-8 youngsters, let them grow up together, and allow them to select their own mates.
Cichlids can be very complex organisms, and simply putting together a male and female, doesn't mean they are compatible, and will spawn.
The more choices you give a group, the better chance of getting a pair.
If I really want to end up getting a breeding pair of a certain species, I will sometimes get 15 or 16 young cichlids. And expect to lose some to aggression as pairs form and acquire territory, but the options given them often leads to very strong pair bonds, and successful spawns.

~T~

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2006
Hanoi, Vietnam
The smaller one is almost definitely female, the bigger one could be either really. Also some cichlids just never show signs of wanting to breed.

Skalper666

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2009
NS, Canada
Maybe they are just not paired up? Or just not right conditions. Or she is just never in the mood anymore lol.

Guapoteguy291

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2015
What's ur temp. When getting dempseys to breed I would do extra waterchanges, bump up temp feed nightcrawlers and they would spawn like clockwork. But then again with cichlids sometimes they are just incompatible.

Guapoteguy291

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2015
Def male on top. Thinking female on bottom bit not 100%. Need a good shot of the "beard" area with lights on

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store