Jack Dempsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I would agree with the others, EBJDs are generally much more timid, and fragile than regular JDs, so the probability of it being destroyed by a managuense is almost a certainty, and could happen over night. The EBJDs need their own tank without anything even remotely aggressive as a tank mate.
Although I don't like mixing fish from continents, if you must have a blue fish in the tank, something akin to Nimbochromis livingstoni would be much more practical (although not assured), even though they are African, they prefer the same hard water as managuense does.
1603199300309.png

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
I cannot see an ebjd doing well in that tank. I’m not sure if you’ve done your research on ebjds. Most people who want ebjds end up babying the ebjd into adulthood often keeping the ebjd alone in a large tank or with smaller dither fish or a group of ebjds. They often stop eating and you need to be able to watch them closely and make necessary adjustments to ensure they survive.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Jags have to be there in the set up, the whole family loves that fish. If the jags cause a problem to the EBJD I’ll probably give it to a friend then
Jags are quick to cause the problem, meaning that chances are high it will be too late for you to rehome the EBJD. Save the money for a 180g tank, which the jag will need.

newworld

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2008
chicago
In nature JDs share habitat with mostly molies and catfish, sometimes Thorichthys and do very well.
Although they are considered by some aggressive, that's on an old school community of angels, gouramis, live bearers scenario, not on a community of aggressive cichlids type scenario attempted these days.
When Rocio (normal JDs) share habitat with more aggressive cichlids, they tend to suffer, IMO a managuense would not be a good cichlid to share a tank with a JD, or would any Prarchromis type.
Below two videos I took in a couple Cenotes in Mexico where JDs live.
In the first,, they are practically the only cichlid, and do well, because they dominate.
Eden2
In the next video, Mayaheros uropthalmus are the dominant cichlid, and as you can see the JD population is much smaller, and the ones that are there, are quite a bit torn up.
027 zps4b102ffd
In the 2nd Cenote there are thousand gallons to divy up, in the first video, perhaps a million gallons of available space to divy up.
If your tank is 300 to 500 gallons a Parachromis might work
Now a video where i didn't see any JDs, but there were Parachromis, and invasive Tilapia.
Aktun Ha

Maybe a little off the subject Duane... I know we talked about this before but I’ve always wondered about the rundown appearance and tattered fins of those cenote dempseys, outside of the cenotes they are in great shape, I first thought the fins were the result of Mexican tetras but in some of these cenote there isn’t any? Never really saw any outward aggression With each other or other cichlids? Maybe is another factor?...anyways for me that was always a mystery...

Kelly_Aquatics

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
JD might last but def not a EBJD i have kept and breed quite a few normal JDs and all mine have been realated which may be why but mine are psychos even my 4" little guy trys to bite me through the glass and beats up the water change hose the jag might beat up the JD it really depends on the fish also what tank size?

BigDaddyMagnum

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2008
New York
if you have the 75 gallon already than i understand using it, but if not i wouldn’t put an oscar, jag and ebjd in a 75, the oscar alone will outgrow that in a year let alone the jags which get pretty big... all JDs are slow growers....

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Maybe a little off the subject Duane... I know we talked about this before but I’ve always wondered about the rundown appearance and tattered fins of those cenote dempseys, outside of the cenotes they are in great shape, I first thought the fins were the result of Mexican tetras but in some of these cenote there isn’t any? Never really saw any outward aggression With each other or other cichlids? Maybe is another factor?...anyways for me that was always a mystery...
No tetras at all in the 1st 2 videos I posted, and while there snorkeling I never noticed any cichlid aggression either, but I was usually there mid morning into the afternoon. Who knows what goes on in the wee hours, when they are all settling in to rest and trying to claim a spot.

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
if you have the 75 gallon already than i understand using it, but if not i wouldn’t put an oscar, jag and ebjd in a 75, the oscar alone will outgrow that in a year let alone the jags which get pretty big... all JDs are slow growers....
I agree with this, a 75 is not really enough space for 1 manganese, or 1 oscar much less any additional cichlids.

Reactions: tlindsey

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Personally do not think Jaguar, oscar, and EB (or regular) JD will be a good mix. The Jaguar will be on another level of aggression as the usually more mild oscar and JD.
If you really are set on a Jaguar, your best bet IMO would be to keep tough fish that look nothing like the jaguar, and will stay a good bit smaller, to keep the Jaguar from seeing them as direct competition. Fish that come to mind would be N. tetracanthus (cuban cichlid) and Hericthys carpintis. Very different in color and body shape, and tough fish in their own right. Also, understand that it's hard to say what will "for sure" work when it comes to cichlid communities, as they are a delicate balancing act with these american cichlids. But you can make your chances much better picking appropriate fish, making sure the tank is large enough (oversized always better) and making sure there is enough decoration/sight breaks/hiding spots for fish to escape to.
Also, you say you are getting a 6 foot tank. That could be a range of sizes- a 125 gallon, I think is unlikely to work for a Jaguar and other cichlids, in the long run. May be fine for a year or two but will get cramped if trying a community. For a true community with a male managuense as a centerpiece, you will need more like a 300 gallon as a minimum IMO. A female may be easier to keep in something like a 125 or 180.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
How would an amphilophus do as a tankmate? Is that just asking for a problem?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store