Jaguar cichlid Tank mates and tank size

Acerbeast

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2016
Florida
I just bought a jaguar cichlid its about 1.5 inches. I want to know what future tank mates it could possibly have and the tank size required to house them. It is currently housed in a 75 gallon with a pike, salvini, convict, texas, and shovelnose catfish. All of them are in the 2-3.5 inch range with the catfish being largest at 5 inches. Im aware these fish get large and I will need a much larger tank. Thanks for any advice☝

jmf

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Maybe a large swimming pool for those guys and as a tank mate, maybe a bull shark lol ;) as the are super aggressive from what I have seen and heard about them.

Cosmic_surfer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2014
Lincoln, NE
75 gallons.... from what I hear the jags get quite large and have a personality akin to the dovii cichlid. As he gets bigger he will kill all that he sees. The only way you will get tank mates for him is if you have a HUGE tank and fill it with dithers. I would imagine the jag would ignore fish it doesn't see as a threat. But again it would have to be such a large tank since anything that moves in its territory would be considered a threat.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
75 gallons.... from what I hear the jags get quite large and have a personality akin to the dovii cichlid. As he gets bigger he will kill all that he sees. The only way you will get tank mates for him is if you have a HUGE tank and fill it with dithers. I would imagine the jag would ignore fish it doesn't see as a threat. But again it would have to be such a large tank since anything that moves in its territory would be considered a threat.
They aren't near as hectic as a dovii apparently

Reactions: fahaka30331

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
In a large enough tank, it is somewhat possible to have a "cichlid community" where managuense don't kill all others.
Something with a minimum of 200-300 gallons might work.
I have kept pairs (with no other cichlids) in 6 ft 125-150 gal tanks.
An adult pair usually makes a 6ft tank appear tiny.

Acerbeast

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2016
Florida
Thanks for the advice and replys! Do any of you believe I could house a female jaguar with a 1 or 2 other mates in a 120? I have a 120 gallon (Still 6ft) I will move the jag to once the fish start out growing the 75 which will happen relatively soon.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
It may be possible to have a pair in 120 if it's 72 inches long. But they will have to be bonded and you will need to be ready to step in with a divider. I wouldn't recommend a jag in 4 ft tank at all, unless it was a square 4ft x 4ft .

Tyler_Wentworth_150

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2015
Humboldt county
My jag 10" or so lives peacefully in my
220. Shares with male convict 4" a Midas pair, 13" and 10" Adonis pleco ~20" not gonna handle it to find out lol. And there may be a clown knife in there still too. It's all a chance, no way to predict how certain fish will behave solo or in group situations. Give it a shot if you can get ahold of a 200+ gallon tank before they're ready to move... next month haha

JakeAlmighty

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2016
Canada
It may be possible to have a pair in 120 if it's 72 inches long. But they will have to be bonded and you will need to be ready to step in with a divider. I wouldn't recommend a jag in 4 ft tank at all, unless it was a square 4ft x 4ft .

definitely simply grow too big for any four foot tank. (crazy 4x4 excepted as you mention, much bigger footprint)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store