Jaguar cichlid Tank mates and tank size

Tyler_Wentworth_150

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2015
Humboldt county
So many questions here... first off, tank size. Also how do you know it’s a pair? Are you assuming or do you mean pair in the strict sense as in 2 jags. Sexing at 10cmwould be tough at best.
Anyways, regardless of the tank size... probably not gonna work. All the fish you mentioned need considerably large tanks just to live comfortably solo....
Only thing I can say is try it, I don’t think it’ll work... just my opinion

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Cichlids come with their own set of unpredictable behaviour and that seems to have been discussed. What has not been mentioned is what species of shovel nose catfish do you have?
Not really a catfish expert but to my knowledge sorubim Lima is one of the smallest and reaches 2 feet,others I believe can reach 4 to 5 feet.
Just thought it was worth a mention.

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
Cichlids come with their own set of unpredictable behaviour and that seems to have been discussed. What has not been mentioned is what species of shovel nose catfish do you have?
Not really a catfish expert but to my knowledge sorubim Lima is one of the smallest and reaches 2 feet,others I believe can reach 4 to 5 feet.
Just thought it was worth a mention.
I got the skinny on lima from thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter on a thread I posted in the catfish section. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 90% of shovelnose cats sold as lima are actually sorubim elongatus and rarely exceed 12". I would not put one with a jag, my 7" female jag lives with a 7" striped raphael and would definitely kill it if it was not so well armored. A sorubim lima or elongatus would be toast and they are far too interesting to sacrifice.

Edit: link to the thread. Viktor gives a great write up in post #7
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/limas.694612/

Last edited:

CichlisGuy253

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2017
Slovakia
Hey guys... I just got new jack dempsey its long about 12cms my jags. Are long about 8cms its ok? He will not eat em? Thanks

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Will a 12cm Jack Dempsey eat an 8cm Jag? I

Guy's from Slovakia so I don't blame him

Chockful O Phail

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2015
Council Bluffs, IA
Thanks Hendre Hendre , I figured it was just lost in translation. Some are a bit rougher than others, and I was tired lol

CichlisGuy253

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2017
Slovakia
Hello, My pair of jags are laying at the bottom its is ok? But they normally eat.. Tank size 100gallons(only for a while) Temperature 26Celsiums tank mates Pair of convicts.. Thanks

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Hello, My pair of jags are laying at the bottom its is ok? But they normally eat.. Tank size 100gallons(only for a while) Temperature 26Celsiums tank mates Pair of convicts.. Thanks
How long has the tank been established?
Readings on:
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
This will help us answer your questions.

Reactions: CichlisGuy253
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store