Feb 8, 2016
Vandergrift, PA
Just check tap for pH I highly doubt it's lower then 6.7 less ur on a well

arowanaman85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Vandergrift, PA
But sounds like u have had a pH drop. Let's assume (test before u start) ur tap is over 6.7. ur bacteria have become inefficient. reduce feeding do tiny water changes daily. Like 5-10% max! If possible get a slow release buffer. Tiny pieces of lime or marble gravel talking tiny(need tank size and temp) ur want to very gradually add these. A small bag of crushed coral will work as well. Before u start ur want to also establish ur kh. Ur use the buffer to add a slow release carbonate source to react with the acid lowering ur pH. That coupled with water changes should allow u to bring up ur pH to at least the mid 6.

Now some fish are fine with 6 but u gotta have more bacteria so more media and more oxygen.
Easiest bet is raise ur pH to ur tap water level with very small amounts of buffer and water changes.

Now if u want instant results can use sodium bicarbonate but it'll be very fast and Burn out quickly and drop back down to where it is now.

arowanaman85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Vandergrift, PA
The. U can put back in ur reactor just monitor pH and do small water changes weekly to monthly depending on how the system goes. This all hinges on ur tank size and temp too but idk.

Good luck

arowanaman85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Vandergrift, PA
Idk missing some info and skipping some stuff but (and someone feel free to say u don't need these parameters because u can just look and tell ur doing it right) u really need these parameters and to closely monitor and know how to safely work with them to prevent crashes and roller coaster that go along with those type of reactors and a 0 to low water change system. At end of the day Arowana will need trace elements as well for growth and water change is easy way to get carbonate and trace element....

arowanaman85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Vandergrift, PA
Holly ****

Please if u like ur fish be very careful with ur water change.

Going from 6-7 is a huge spike and 6-7.6 u could very well kill ur fish if u do too big of a water change right now. I'm going to assume u were trying to do fewer water changes?

Well if u take nothing else from this. Do very small water changes talking 5% 10% once to twice a day till u see ur pH approach ur tap then u can move back to doing normal changes every week or two depending on volume and stocking levels.

arowanaman85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Vandergrift, PA
Also if Api reads 6 it could very well be 5 6 is its lowest value I think

arowanaman85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Vandergrift, PA
Lol u ever see fight club
If u managed to spill borax or what ever that base was on ur hand and get it wet u can stick ur hand in some of ur tank water to neutralize the burn :)

Richard203

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2016
mybe im using seachem stability I heard it lower ur ph too, after 4 more days ima see my water para that's when I stop dosing stability and prime in the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store