JDM style

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
What’s the baller style? Expensive equipment?
Expensive, one off fish. Platinum, albino this and that, over priced plecos, things that are more on the rare side that command a high price. The ''baller'' is going to let you know.

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
Expensive, one off fish. Platinum, albino this and that, over priced plecos, things that are more on the rare side that command a high price. The ''baller'' is going to let you know.
I feel like names such as “fire trimac” and all the other made up names whether about true species or flower horn are pretty cringeworthy too

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I see and thank you for giving the scientifically rigorous name to this phenomenon, previously unnamed for me. I agree. I don't like it. I also understand this is how a free market works. We are not going to talk about illegal ways, but the free market allows for a myriad of legal ways to strip you of your earned money by making you want the goods offered.

I also believe in freedom. Within the legal realm. If someone wants to buy a rare, expensive fish, manmade or not, more power to them. Live and think and let others live and think.

SuperNinja

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2014
Desert
I agree! Look at those new (to me atleast) plecos that have 3 color phases and are a few hundred to few thousand. I honestly don’t see the point. But everyone has the freedom to spend whatever they want on whatever they like.

on the JDM style i do stock on the heavier side not jdm but i have a huge sump and everything has more than enough space to move and hide/rest. An automatic water changer and my nitrates never hit above 40 ppm when i do test. Dosing with bioclean and through my 8’ long side the water is crystal blue, not yellow or green tint. 100 micron filter pad i swap out every morning when i suck out the big poops. It’s a lot of work yes but it’s part of the responsibility. Just my thoughts

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I must admit I didn't know what JDM meant, and after looking it up I still can't put my finger on it.
The first thing that pops up in my search, is an Amano style tank design, an almost zen concept, very high in plant density, but low in fish stocking, and very small fish.
Beautiful tank, but I'm not capable of that kind of attention to detail. I'd like to, but not in my wheelhouse (ADHD).
Is this JDM or not?
If not what is the true meaning of JDM?

..puSkar..

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2020
I must admit I didn't know what JDM meant, and after looking it up I still can't put my finger on it.
The first thing that pops up in my search, is an Amano style tank design, an almost zen concept, very high in plant density, but low in fish stocking, and very small fish.
Beautiful tank, but I'm not capable of that kind of attention to detail. I'd like to, but not in my wheelhouse (ADHD).
Is this JDM or not?
I'm not quite sure myself. But what I understand is that "JDM" style of fishkeeping refers to the "Asian" Style of fishkeeping where the stocking density is very very high. Some people like it some don't. I personally hate such tanks. It seems like a Hodge podge .

Reactions: Deadeye

nzeng1111

Exodon
MFK Member
May 18, 2020
I'm not quite sure myself. But what I understand is that "JDM" style of fishkeeping refers to the "Asian" Style of fishkeeping where the stocking density is very very high. Some people like it some don't. I personally hate such tanks. It seems like a Hodge podge .
I personally hate it too. Never got the appeal of such tanks except to flex on how baller you are akin to Joe exotic. Almost up there but not quite are the overstocked Malawi "biotope" tanks. Same problem smaller scale.

This might be a repeated opinion but some fish just aren't suited for captivity. Not only the paroon sharks and arapaimas that usually need a giant pond, but also Goliath tigerfish and some of the more aggressive mbuna you should really be keeping with no other fish

Krismo962

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2020
my house!!
Is this JDM or not?
68560911_10162077292110006_2557386835579895808_n.jpg

68578582_10162077291890006_8688335488207028224_n.jpg
These tanks aren't mine so there's no point of flaming me lol

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
On the topic of mbuna, packed is how they exist in nature, and they’ll kill each other if they aren’t. But you need a good maintenance routine to make it work.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Is this JDM or not?
Apparently, going off a thread from 2010, the common concensus is that JDM stands for "Japan Domestic Market". A term coined by the Japanese to describe heavily stocked tanks, which were very common over there back in the day.

How true it is I don't know.

I have a better one......Just Damn Moronic!

Reactions: deeda and Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store