JDM style

SuperNinja

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2014
Desert
Within reason has anyone on here run a jdm monster set up? I know they were quite popular through 2010 on here. Haven’t seen much since then. Just curious how they maintain them. seems like it would be quite hard and could lose a lot of awesome fish.

Reactions: Matteus

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Still see a few pop up on FB now and again… usually beaten back into the woodwork very quickly these days… Anyone running a “community” style “monster” setup is doing the same thing/style of keeping. There are no more “guarentees” of keeping say 3-5 large fish together or 20…. Ultimately they choose who lives or dies ?… unless ur keeping solo specimen tanks there will always b casualties. No difference really other than the “shock” value JDM provides for most people.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
JDM style fishkeeping is one bandwagon that I can proudly say that I did not jump on.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Within reason has anyone on here run a jdm monster set up? I know they were quite popular through 2010 on here. Haven’t seen much since then. Just curious how they maintain them. seems like it would be quite hard and could lose a lot of awesome fish.
They would be flamed and shamed right off MFK now. The MFK of big fish, big tanks where members spare no expense is long gone overrun by by the small tank mob who are quick to criticize and shame and flame anyone who doesn't share their small tank mentality.

Krismo962

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2020
my house!!
Very true
They would be flamed and shamed right off MFK now. The MFK of big fish, big tanks where members spare no expense is long gone overrun by by the small tank mob who are quick to criticize and shame and flame anyone who doesn't share their small tank mentality.

Reactions: CrazyPhishMan

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I don't think its about shaming anyone for having a small tank.
Maybe more about chastising those who put too big of fish, into inadequate size tanks, which allow the water to become fish urine soup with a lack of water changes and maintenance.
Many posts i see make it become clear, that the idea of what a monster tank is, takes on completely different meanings to different people.
Some people think a 180 gal tank is large.
Some people think a 50 gal is large.
Some people think either is large enough for a fish the size of an Oscar.
I have a 180, and don't believe its even close be being an adequate size tank for adult oscars.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I believe I stock usually on the heavy side of the "norm". Somewhere between the "norm" and the JDM but 5 steps away from the "norm" and still 500 steps to go to the JDM.

I also came to believe that the shortage of clear swimming space and lack of rest from all the motion and commotion stresses non-schooling, non-shoaling fish and badly undercuts their quality of life and longevity, I'd say pretty much kills the fish in a JDM tank that should live for 20 years in 20 days to 20 weeks to 20 months. In the case of our tanks, the heavy stock might have been resulting in shortening of lifespans as well, just not as badly as in a JDM tank.

I also don't believe that JDM tanks can be filtered properly to avoid ammonia and nitrite stress, because if this was the goal, the filtration turnover would be so strong that the fish would be blown around and not be able to handle it, and the strong, violent flow would also stress the fish further. JDM density is close to fish farm density, where usually the flow is laminar (sheet flow) and in one direction and often the flow is open ended, that is the water is not circulated through a relatively small filter, it comes in and goes out like a diverted part of a river or a creek or the water is taken from an enormous natural water body, can be a lake or even an aquifer, and then it is returned there directly. Or often fish are raised in enclosures right in huge water bodies, like lakes, rivers, and seas.

Thus, in this regard, I respectfully disagree with Russ. Yes, tank mates can choose who is bullied or eaten and who is not. That's one stressor. Adding the stress of no rest is a different and almost assured way to kill a fish the fastest. Adding underfiltration is just another nail into the proverbial fish coffin, if they existed...

I'd also respectfully disagree with Pacu Mom in one aspect. This is not about the tank size but the stock, the water weight divided by fish weight is a dimensionless measure. One can have too many tetras or guppies in a 5 gal tank just the same. I believe what Pacu Mom is probably saying is that the societal paradigm has been shifting far, far to the left and anyone attempting to keep a "big" fish in anything less than an acre-size pond is seen as committing a cruelty more and more with each generation.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store