June 2007 POTM Winner

Tunnel Rat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
Australia
ercnan;991791; said:
But it did win a contest based on a voting system.
Did it win from the most votes because of the "quality" of the photo, or by the "shock" value ?
He did state that it was a "one off" shot for the camera, leading me to think it was done for the "shock" value to win, with photo quality as an afterthought.

Congrats on the win.
I don't hide the fact that this shot was entered for the shock value :WHOA: & not it's photo quality.
I do not classify this shot as a good image in the art of photography skill as I do some of my other work (gallery) .But I new it would do well in the POTM contest on its shock value alone.

Thx
Rat

ercnan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2006
The End Of The Yellow Brick Road
Tunnel Rat;991883; said:
I don't hide the fact that this shot was entered for the shock value :WHOA: & not it's photo quality.
I do not classify this shot as a good image in the art of photography skill as I do some of my other work (gallery) .But I new it would do well in the POTM contest on its shock value alone.

Thx
Rat
Thanks Rat, that's exactly my point.
It was done as a way (hopefully) to win a contest.
I don't think that portrays the fact that we (collectively speaking) practice this on a daily basis.
Some might, and some might just indulge in the fact that others do, and voice their opinions by voting, thus living vicariously through others who take the "heat" afterwards.
If a new comer to the site bases their judgment on this one "contest" without viewing other threads where there is a wealth of good sound info./advice, they probably don't have much to offer anyway.
I don't see the difference in feeding a mouse to a fish or a snake, it just so happens that snakes don't eat fish food, whereas some fish eat "snake food".
Nobody seems to object when we feed ourselves with cows, even though they are considered sacred in some countries.
Some others cultures eat cats and dogs and lizards and grubs and , and, and, ..... etc.
I personally would want to win a photo contest based on the quality of the shot, not because people think the subject or situation is just a "cool" thing.
That's only my opinion obviously, and others have theirs. I'm not right or wrong any more than they are.
There is a thing called "agree to disagree" that works well if both sides "agree".
If everything was cut and dry/black and white, we would all be the same.
Where's the fun in that ?? :) :) :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store