Just lost 2 discus

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Alright. I'll up the water changes to daily until I get a much lower Ammonia level and no more new fish for a while. Is there a way to create/add a BB to an existing tank?
Hello; Yes. The quickest way is to seed a tank with some solid material from a long established tank. This can be pretty much any solid surface. Used filter media, substrate material like gravel or sand, décor and such. I like to add snails from my old tanks as well as they should have bb on their shells. If you know someone with an established tank try to borrow/buy some such material. maybe from a fish shop?
You can also add some live plants to help. there are floating plants that can be thrown in. Some plants can take up a bit of ammonia directly and I feel they may also have bb on their surfaces.
Good luck
Note- there are a lot of threads and information about cycling on this and other sites. do a search.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Another thing that may help is to stop feeding for a few days. Except for very young fish, healthy fish can go for many days without food. This should help in that little or no food reduces the ammonia by having less decay byproducts from uneaten food and less metabolism activity by the fish. Sorry if this seems a bit drastic but you likely have a crisis situation.
Good luck

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
I hate to say this but it needs to be said.

You don't have a clue of what you are doing and you need to take the time and read through some material.

Studying the nitrogen cycle, appropriate diet, tank size, temp, tank mates for your fish. Also look at things like TDs, hardness, ph, and kh.

Research quality filters and heaters and see why some are better than others. Look into different foods and what ingredients are important and needed vs fillers.

Your attempting to keep a fish that many hobbiest don't dare to tackle because of sensitivity and cost. But you haven't the slightest clue on how to care for them. It's a very blatant disregard for the life of the fish.

Bringing these beautiful animals into our homes demands a level of care and respect. It also means that as a pet owner you need to do your research BEFORE you purchase your new pets. I feel bad for the life that you have taken and hope that you can learn QUICKLY from your mistakes as to avoid this animal abuse in the future.

Good luck to you.

I will offer my advice, but only after you have taken some initiative and come ask smart questions that show you have a certain level of understanding. Feel free to use theany videos and website available to you at a clock of a button to do some research.

jonah h2o

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2016
san diego California
I thought that discuss liked a ph on the low end? although it seems like all of you know WAY MORE about discuss keeping than I do!!

jonah h2o

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2016
san diego California
thats why I don't keep discuss

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I thought that discuss liked a ph on the low end? although it seems like all of you know WAY MORE about discuss keeping than I do!!
They are more tolerant of higher PH if you have aquarium bred strains

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I'm not trying to be harsh, but I've always understood that discus are very challenging fish, if not among the most challenging. Highly sensitive and very unforgiving of poor water quality are the words that flow through my head.

Good luck from here, but perhaps tread more slowly and carefully with them the next time.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I'm not trying to be harsh, but I've always understood that discus are very challenging fish, if not among the most challenging. Highly sensitive and very unforgiving of poor water quality are the words that flow through my head.

Good luck from here, but perhaps tread more slowly and carefully with them the next time.
Apparently it's more the amount of feeding and protein they need can quicklh reduce water quality, and with the sensitivity of some wild caught fish got them a reputation. I may be wrong but apart from waterchanges are fairly easy fish

Reactions: Bigfishnut

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Ahhh.... Okay. I was under the impression they were unusually sensitive. Of course that was from reading things a jillion years ago. I might look into them again one day.
They are cool, apart from cost. If you can keep them fed and healthy they grow big. My LFS have some that are at least 8" tall or more

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store