Just lost 2 discus

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
Pretty sure we scared the OP off after page 1. OP, don't feel bad. We've all been through it. I'd feed lightly and only 3-5x week, plus do 50% daily WCs until the tank shows nothing but nitrates.
He probably ran away all scared and alone... :eek:

Anyway OP if you are still around, see if you can get some used media out of an already established tank, maybe a friend or an lfs will give you some? That will make the cycle almost instant. You can also buy a bacterial supplement that will help speed up the cycling process but it won't work overnight, generally it takes like 2 weeks or so for a good enough bacteria colony to get established when you use that stuff. You should also grab a bottle of seachem prime, it detoxifies the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate so it won't harm the fish as much. Also I agree on raising the temp to 82 as stated in a previous post, that should also help the bacteria dudes multiply a bit quicker.

Also don't feel too bad, people make mistakes when they first start fishkeeping. I think we have all been there at one point haha. Sucks to lose expensive fish like that though. That's the main reason I won't spend too much on the actual fish in case I really mess up ahaha.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
The common problem with these folks (newbies) is that they all tent to do it first and ask later when problem arise = wasted time and money (even the OP said "these thing ain't cheap" lol)! I hope more peoples read/research/ask first so they don't waste their time and their hard earn money.

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
Pretty sure we scared the OP off after page 1. OP, don't feel bad. We've all been through it. I'd feed lightly and only 3-5x week, plus do 50% daily WCs until the tank shows nothing but nitrates.
Just wanted to clarify that some of us haven't been through it as we taking the appropriate actions to ensure we are providing ideal homes for our pets. Months of research before buying my first aquarium.

not everyone jumps head first and kills fish as a learning process.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Ok, I have not kept discus yet, but I have done tons of research because I plan on keeping them. I'll try to give the best crash course paragraph I can with the knowledge I have on them.

Discus are a schooling fish and require at least a group of 6 to live comfortably (aside from confirmed breeding pairs, which can be comfortable with just the two of them). They require about ten gallons of tank space PER DISCUS. This means that a group of 6 should be kept in a 55gal or larger tank, preferably a 75gal.

Discus require higher temperatures than a lot of other tropical fish. A minimum temperature should be 82 degrees, but can easily be kept up around 86-88 degrees.

Water changes can vary depending on the size and number of discus being kept. Younger discus, under 4", need more water changes because they are still in the critical growing stage of their life. Older discus, over 4-5", can be kept with fewer water changes, but still require pristine water conditions. Younger discus should have water changes that amount to 50% every other day to 90% everyday. Older discus can be ok with water changes that range from 50% once a week to 50% every other day. Either way, the water parameters should never have any ammonia or nitrite (none at all), and should be 10ppm nitrates at the most (preferably never over 5ppm).

Wild discus do require a lower ph, usually in the 5.5 to 6.5 range. However, most discus in the trade now are from domestic or foreign breeders that have been breeding and keeping them for generations in higher ph water. Because of this, these tank bred discus are able to withstand much higher ph's. They do need stable ph numbers though. So, if your water gasses off a lot of co2 or has a ph shift more than .2 (mine rises from 7.6 to 8.2-8.4) over a 24-48 hour period after coming out of the faucet, you need to age your water. 55 gallon plastic food grade barrels are usually super cheap on Craigslist. The main thing is it has to be steady. This is another reason for frequent water changes is because if you let the ph in your tank drop too much, because of the normal tank cycle, and then add new water, even if it's aged, it will cause too high of a ph swing and can stress or even kill the fish.

Feeding discus also is an important part of keeping them. Flakes won't do. When they're growing, and even as adults, they require a high protein diet. This is why many discus keepers feed beef heart and black worms. When younger, three smaller feedings at least three times a day are required. As they get older and larger, feeding can gradually be dropped to once a day.

Tank maintenance is probably where most people slack the most. First off, having an easy to clean filter is very important. Because of this, most discus keepers use sponge filters and/or HOB filters. These should be cleaned of detritus every water change. Because of this, canisters are not recommended and under gravel filters are an absolute no no. The tank needs to be bare bottom for juvies and should be bare bottom for adults. The tank should be vacuumed out after each feeding to remove any solid waste or uneaten food. However, I think that if you keep up with a more frequent water change schedule and arrange your feedings so that you vacuum the tank shortly after your messiest food, such as beef heart, then you should be fine with once a day. Few to no decor items should be in the tank because they can gather detritus that you need to remove from the tank.

OP, if you're still here, I strongly recommend you reed through my post and see where you need to improve your setup. You have a lot of problems and, I hate to say it, but your remaining discus will probably not live much longer and if they do, the damage has already been done to them such that they will never reach their full potential.

I also recommend you check out SimplyDiscus and the following video. This video is well worth the hour and twenty minutes if you're interested in keeping discus.

Best of luck!

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
Just wanted to clarify that some of us haven't been through it as we taking the appropriate actions to ensure we are providing ideal homes for our pets. Months of research before buying my first aquarium....
I feel very fortunate to be in the midst of such excellence.

My poor attempts at aquaria where when I was about 10-12yrs old. That was 35yrs ago.

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
i seriously don't understand many of you on here... Saying things like don't feel to bad we all make mistakes when were new ect..

This is just making excuses for your ignorance. All you are doing is allowing new fish keepers / caregivers of fish an escape goat.

Also sending a message to new comers that its okay to kill fish if your new, don't worry about doing research until something bad happens.

It is never okay to get an animal without understanding the basics needs for that animal. I will even go as far to say that just having the basic knowledge is still not enough. I mean if you actually care about life on this planet outside of your own you should really spend a bit of time researching how to care for the pet you want. Don't let the price of the animal dictate how much care it deserve this is just foolish behavior.

I am beyond disgusted and what we consider to be acceptable when it comes to fish keeping. Whether it be a human child, a dog, lizard, or a fish, they all have the right to live a life were they are not being abused or mistreated. All the information needed is at our fingertips and is available in seconds. we need to stop making excuses for people who don't take the effort to providing optimal care.

Once they kill / take a life its too late. The damage has been done.

We all have an opinion but i hope we can all agree that we don't have to kill fish to learn how to care for them.

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
I feel very fortunate to be in the midst of such excellence.

My poor attempts at aquaria where when I was about 10-12yrs old. That was 35yrs ago.
Don't be ridiculous. 35 years ago was a much different time. We can't make the same mistakes and blame not knowing better. If you don't know the basics of care for a freshwater fish is because you didn't care enough to take the time to do a bit of reading.

I love that some of you would rather target me as a bad guy instead of enforcing proper care of fish.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
No offense to you, but i think its just that this is a public forum with people of all levels of knowledge, and in your posts you are coming off rather harsh towards a newcomer...

I mean i agree with what you say in principal, but no need to go off the deepend on someone whos come here in hopes of recrifying what went wrong... even if it came at the cost of a fishes life and money for the OP...

Since lets forget we cant tell tones of voice through text and it can come off as sounding aggressive...

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
I think people agree with your overall point (at least I do) which is - you really should do research before you buy any living creature. With the internet at our disposal it makes it really easy. There IS a lot of misinformation on the internet, (esp. with tank size for certain species of fish) but with a little time you can really get the basic concepts on board first, like cycling a tank.

I think what people have beef with is that you did it a bit harshly, so that this person may have just bailed on the forum vs. stick around and learn.

This forum is incredible in regards to the knowledge level of specific species and I have learned a ton from it, and have had incredible support from it. I totally understand your frustration but if it's tempered down a bit you can still get your point across and actually possibly make a larger difference.

Just my 2 cents.

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
I wonder how many discus with that same right to life are culled because of their appearance.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store