Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

Juvenile Dovii question

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by cichlidtank18, Nov 12, 2018.

1. cichlidtank18

cichlidtank18 Feeder Fish

Bullytank
      Dec 2, 2018
      I have a 2-3” Dovii currently in quarantine. I just got him a week or so ago. He’s in there with a 2-3” Convict that I’m treating as well. The convict chases him around from time to time. He also chases the convict from time to time. My question is...he’s seems a little shy. Can I put him in my community tank with 2 Oscars that are about 5-6”, green terror that’s about 3”, 2 JD’s 2-3”, 2 convicts 2-3” and a Pleco? The pleco is the biggest in the tank. The tank is 60 gallon. I’ll be building a 240 gallon tank in the upcoming weeks. So this is just temporary housing for him. I guess my concern is “will he kill or be killed?”

2. mattison187

mattison187 Redtail Catfish

Myles
      Thursday at 8:11 PM
      I would worry about the oscars snacking on him. The oscars will grow much faster.

3. Rlake914

Rlake914 Feeder Fish

Rickie L
      Yesterday at 12:05 AM
      Sorry to say but Dovii grow faster then every fish you currently have. He is giving you false information. Dovii males max out around 24” in aquariums. If it’s male, it will eventually kill every single one of those fish one by one! I’m strictly Dovii & I’ve been going at it for around 8 years. Put it in your community tank!

4. cichlidtank18

Bullytank
      Dec 2, 2018
      I put it in there a couple days ago and it seems to be doing fine. There were 2 goldfish in there that survived a few weeks. They were originally feeders, but were too big to be eaten. They ate and got bigger. Once the Dovii arrived mysteriously they both got devoured. Heads were gone on both and the rest of the fish just finished off the bodies. Could it have been the Dovii?

5. Rlake914

Rlake914 Feeder Fish

Rickie L
      You will start seeing all kinds of fish chewed up soon. Mark my word! Dovii’s are a solo fish. Rarely can you keep them with other fish. You need a huge tank to do so. More it gets bigger, more territory it’s going to start claiming & fish will start dying. Especially if it’s male! They don’t play nice with nothing! My one male is 16” & has killed a dozen fish including females. Now he’s 100% solo. I can hear his badass bang the glass when I’m upstairs!

6. cichlidtank18

Bullytank
      Dec 2, 2018
      I think it’s a female. It’s all brownish with the black stripe. No freckling at all as of now that I can see

7. mattison187

mattison187 Redtail Catfish

Myles
      Thursday at 8:11 PM
      Idk how i missed this reply. Theres nothing false about my statement.. You put a 3" dovii in with two 6" oscar like the o.p was asking about, if it isnt instant snack time for the oscars, sooner or later it mostlikely will be. Yes dovii become huge killing machines, but they also have a much slower growth rate. parachromis in general are shy little buggers till they hit around 5" or so ime.

8. duanes

duanes Gold Tier VIP

Duane
      Today at 7:22 AM
      I agree that at 1st, young dovii can be shy, and being the new guy, in a tank where a hierarchy is already established may get bullied.
      But if it lives, and hits its stride, there is nothing in the tank that it can't, and won't easily kill. I'd say you have maybe a few months before you'll need the 240 up and running, and "it" will soon be too small for just 1 adult dovii with no other fish.
      In nature dovii eat convicts, along with a number of other cichlids.

9. Mitchell The Monster

Mitchell The Monster Jack Dempsey

Mitchell
      Yesterday at 8:53 PM
      I agree. I had 3 dovii a long time ago and i thought they were odd ball calm ones untill about the 4-5 inch mark and slaughtered everything lol.

10. Rlake914

Rlake914 Feeder Fish

Rickie L
      Dovii’s average a minimum of a inch a month til it hit around 12”, where they finally start to slow down. I speak on facts, not opinions. I don’t see how that’s a slow growth rate. The dovii might have a challenge because it’s 2 oscars but I completely doubt it will die. It will just stay clear for awhile then surprise!! 1 dead Oscar!! Week or 2 later another dead Oscar!! Dovii’s are extremely smart. So Cichlidtank18 how’s he making out?