Juvenile fogo bass for sale?!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Were fogos always rarer than azuls, xingu, etc or just now because they werent available for the longest time? That probably also means if we wait a couple years the prices would drop drastically right? Either way, stoked theyre finally here! Just dont wanna get ripped off and buy a bunch only to find out they cost $20 each at my local fish store a couple years later.
I'm not sure about other areas but as far as I can recall Fogo were not available in the U.S. until Wes brought them in recently.

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
I'll chime in. eventually everything will become available with the right amount of effort and money put into it. Brazil has opened up its doors, and from one fisherman offering them to me, then several others were offering the same fish, at which point I had committed to one person to import them after jumping through hoops and waiting for flights to resume after the entire covid summer. Fast forward, which waiting for my fish, the fisherman also sold some to another exporter that ended up selling some to Predatory Fins.

Fogo was the pinnacle of peacock bass keeping for me, I had to have it, nothing was going to stop me. At the same time I realized that anything people can breed in large quantities will lose its value also some of the "wild"qualities over time, like the other peacock bass.

For me, its about being the first. I believe I was the first in the world outside of Brazil to offer them in any quantity. I believe Seiichi in Japan said he had some back in 2002., but we never saw those grow up, or where they ended.

Now that I see other fisherman trying to sell them all over the internet and to other exporters, I presume soon more people will have it and eventually breed them, maybe 1-2 years from now. I have since then turned down offers of importing more, and then they couldn't sell them and decided to drop the price further. This is the tactic they used in the past with black diamonds, typhoon plecos, zebra plecos. Everyone is trying to lure people with these "new, rare" fish. Some are scammers, some are opportunists, and a few are genuine.

In peru the use smuggled fish from Brazil or albino fish. They recently offered me a transparent red belly piranha with blue eyes. Or in Nigeria everyone is offering tetraodon pustulatus, because they think it can sell for $3000.00 each. This story will play out over and over again. When I smell this type of tactic, I will move on to the new frontier, look for something new and different. Of course you will see some other importers bring them in, but the joy and excitement will never be the same as owning the first ones in the world or USA

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store