Juvi Channa Barca

mad ness

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2009
Hong Kong
woke up this morning with an unpleasant suprise. a fresh water shrimp was on the floor and where's the fish?!!!

Tank has a glass top with 1/2" gaps on edges. Not sure if it chased the shrimp out or climbed out on its own.

I guess what they say about it crawling out during rains to catch cockroaches. Found it about 26ft away covered in dog hair, dried and motionless. I was devestated. But when picked up the body, it started wiggling and gasping for air!

Appears to be ok now, breathing underwater and coming up for air. Dried film peeling off fins and body, color is good.

close call. it was out of water for minimum 3 hours.

chronick

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2009
Canada
mad ness;3643662; said:
woke up this morning with an unpleasant suprise. a fresh water shrimp was on the floor and where's the fish?!!!

Tank has a glass top with 1/2" gaps on edges. Not sure if it chased the shrimp out or climbed out on its own.

I guess what they say about it crawling out during rains to catch cockroaches. Found it about 26ft away covered in dog hair, dried and motionless. I was devestated. But when picked up the body, it started wiggling and gasping for air!

Appears to be ok now, breathing underwater and coming up for air. Dried film peeling off fins and body, color is good.

close call. it was out of water for minimum 3 hours.
holy hell that must have been so scary haha. Well snakheads are notorious jumpers, i learned my lession when my bleheri jumped; I was sleeping and when i woke i found him dried on my carpet half a foot from my door covered in lint. When i tossed him into the water he twitches and swam erratically, he didn't make it =/. You're pretty lucky imo ^^

edit: if you haven't already, drain a lot of water out so that it's easy for him to get to the surface.

mad ness

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2009
Hong Kong
drained the water by half and covered all gaps with weights. Kept it in a shallow water until breathing was stabalized. He was able to consistently swim upright and surface for air. underestimated this little guy.

chronick;3643894; said:
holy hell that must have been so scary haha. Well snakheads are notorious jumpers, i learned my lession when my bleheri jumped; I was sleeping and when i woke i found him dried on my carpet half a foot from my door covered in lint. When i tossed him into the water he twitches and swam erratically, he didn't make it =/. You're pretty lucky imo ^^

edit: if you haven't already, drain a lot of water out so that it's easy for him to get to the surface.

jelly

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Herts, UK
www.Hoplias.webs.com
Very cool and very lucky, Should pull through though. They develope a great charactor. Mine has a disliking to my brother inlore and always flares at him, also hates algae magnets and attacks them. They are primarily invert eaters and I have had success keeping him with very small fish that don't present a terratorial threat. I have a group of White Cloud Mountain Minnows with mine.

Male or Female? - Can't tell at that size, Well I can't.

Shallow water 2ft tank or deep 3ft tank? - 3ft if it's an option. I have mine in a 2ft deep tank though.

Rate of growth? Pretty quick I am expearencing 0.5-1 inch a month.

16C~mid-20C? (will need to get a cooler for the summer) They are warmer subtropical so 20-21c will be fine

water current? Medium to low.

Hiding places (make it a cave)? They are suposed to live in caves, I have provided one but mine is always out in the open and never ventures into it..

Preferred lighting?, Not to fussy but like most fish likes it a little dim.

PH 6.5~8? 6.5 - 7.5. I have mine at 7.5, They are not fussy about the PH.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store