Keeping Two Oscars Together?

Peach02

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2019
Australia
So I'm planning on keeping an Oscar but don't want it to feel lonely. Would it be possible to keep a red tiger Oscar and a red Oscar together from 1 inch size for life? Ive heard of buying 6 and waiting for two to pair off but I don't want to have 4 year old oscars I need to get rid of. Im not planning on breeding them ether, I can't look after spawn and would that become a problem or would they be like other fish and die very early if not given specific care?
Tank size is 150x50x50cm

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
That comes out to about 93 gallons I believe, I would agree when the Oscars get large it may be hard to keep water parameters in check. Oscars are particularly susceptible to Hole in the Head (HLLE) and in sub optimal water with high nitrates they more often than not develop permanent deep scars. Of course it also depends on your maintenance schedule, If you wanted to do large water changes every 2 or 3 days you might be able to keep the fish healthy.
But personally I'd recommend at least a 125-150 for two Oscars. Getting Oscars that like each other may be another challenge. Getting a pair may be your best bet, buy 5-6 and keep the two that get along.

Peach02

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2019
Australia
That comes out to about 93 gallons I believe, I would agree when the Oscars get large it may be hard to keep water parameters in check. Oscars are particularly susceptible to Hole in the Head (HLLE) and in sub optimal water with high nitrates they more often than not develop permanent deep scars. Of course it also depends on your maintenance schedule, If you wanted to do large water changes every 2 or 3 days you might be able to keep the fish healthy.
But personally I'd recommend at least a 125-150 for two Oscars. Getting Oscars that like each other may be another challenge. Getting a pair may be your best bet, buy 5-6 and keep the two that get along.
I double checked and its 60cm wide so 105 Gallons
what would I do with the other 4 oscars?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I double checked and its 60cm wide so 105 Gallons
what would I do with the other 4 oscars?
Rehome them to another fishkeeper or give to a LFS for free. 105 gallons is still too small water volume to handle the bio-load of 2 adult oscars, especially if you are unable to change 150% of the water within a 7 day period. Get at least 180 US g tank (72"x24"x24"), if you want a breeding pair of oscars.

Stick to one oscar if this is the first time you are keeping a fish that gets well over 12".

Peach02

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2019
Australia
Rehome them to another fishkeeper or give to a LFS for free. 105 gallons is still too small water volume to handle the bio-load of 2 adult oscars, especially if you are unable to change 150% of the water within a 7 day period. Get at least 180 US g tank (72"x24"x24"), if you want a breeding pair of oscars.

Stick to one oscar if this is the first time you are keeping a fish that gets well over 12".
Okay, but your sure it wouldn’t get lonely or be happier if it had tankmates?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Okay, but your sure it wouldn’t get lonely or be happier if it had tankmates?
The Oscar will be fine alone and you have been given great advice from experienced members. The Oscar will actually interact with you lol.

Reactions: Peach02

Peach02

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2019
Australia
The Oscar will be fine alone and you have been given great advice from experienced members. The Oscar will actually interact with you lol.
im not doubting this advice sorry if it sounds like it I was just concerned since I won't be at the tank all day due to school and work etc and since the fish is intelligent I wouldn't want to hurt it mentally

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Sounds like you don't have a lot of time, meaning you may not be able to do enough water changes to keep 2, or much less 4 in good enough water quality to keep them healthy.
Better one lonely oscar (and I don't believe they get lonely) than a few living in their own swill from lack of water changes.
More than get lonely, if their tank isn't large enough for more than one, they get frustrated with lack of space and kill, or badger the other to death in a small tank.
They will however need something to interact with though, if you have substrate, and decor, they will constantly redecorate the tank for something to do.
I know people who give their oscars toy balls or other toys to keep them busy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store