Kewpie's Dragon Worm Growth Thread

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
What are your guys opinions on hides/driftwood and such? My guys just hide all day, I know they're poly's but I just thought they'd be a bit more active than this.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Nice additions dude. Love ornates

I'm not a fan of hides. Especially when they get large.

I like things they can hide behind vs hide under. Large tall pieces of December are cool kind of the best of both worlds. They geg cover but can't hide. Less to fight and injure themselves over

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
Nice additions dude. Love ornates

I'm not a fan of hides. Especially when they get large.

I like things they can hide behind vs hide under. Large tall pieces of December are cool kind of the best of both worlds. They geg cover but can't hide. Less to fight and injure themselves over
+1

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
They're still new, they need time to settle and get comfortable. That being said, you don't really get polys for activity. ;) If you want activity get a Sen or a Polli and that's your best bet. Otherwise you just have to like the looks of the fish and you may luck out and get an active one. My Del was only active in random spurts.

I think that cover gives them security, and I like providing that for my fish. But if you provide too much they can have a tendency to hide too much, too - depends on the fish.

If I were to do it again, I'd do floating plants and/or maybe pothos or whatnot set up top with roots growing down into the water. I'd also maybe do a couple of red lotus which don't take up much floor space but give overhead cover.
I'd provide some wood/branches that were more in the water colum or even coming down from the surface and try to keep the substrate as open as I could. For me since I like natural looking tanks best, it would be a way to make it look like the edge of a river/lake, but still be able to see the polys (on the substrate) and give them some security.

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
Excellent suggestions guys, the tank still isn't where I want it aesthetically but it will get there :)

Do you have any personal experience with the red lotus magpie magpie ?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Excellent suggestions guys, the tank still isn't where I want it aesthetically but it will get there :)

My .02 cents on red lotus and tiger lotus, I think they are awesome but I can't keep them alive never have been able to. I'm not sure what I do wrong. To much light? Not enough? They always just fade away on me.

Reactions: kewpiefishypewpie

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Yeah, I have one that's doing great in a 20. I think they like root fertilization so some root tabs now and again would be good.

I got mine as a plant, not a bulb so it was already somewhat established.

Reactions: kewpiefishypewpie

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
Gotcha, I might have to wait to get anything shipped to me until it warms up a bit anyway. I have a couple of melon swords in with them and some valisneria floating. Frog bit stays a bit bigger than duckweed and doesn't multiply like crazy right? I was thinking about getting some of that too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store