"L" Shaped 1000 Gallon Tank Design

TexasMFK31

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
Hey everyone, this tank is a few years out, but it's time to start planning now! I have attached sketchup screenshots to show what I am talking about. The long portion of the L is 10', the other is 9'. The 9' section is 4' wide, and the 10' section is 3' wide. The red circles are drains, while the blue are returns. The black triangle in the middle with 2 blue holes would be the return of 2 separate sumps, while the 3 holes in the floor would be closed loop with an ultima 1000. The front bracing is 4" around the front glass with a ~24" viewing window height and 5'8" long on each side. Each red end of the tank would be "open" and have an overflow with 3 1" bulkheads and siphon drains to their respective sump. This would make the overall filtraion at ~6000gph turnover for the tank. This is early stage of design and I am looking for ideas and conversation mainly. Tell me where I'm an idiot and where I'm on the right track. I am a bit timid doing the glass meeting in the middle and am considering a wooden corner there to attach the glass to, still debating that. Onto the photos!

Iso/Viewing view.

upload_2018-7-21_13-58-57.png

Top down view, 4" cross supports that will be pond armorer 1/4" steel bar bolted to the eurobraced wood perimeter.

upload_2018-7-21_13-59-28.png

View of the overflow holes and the weir box loosely. This I am not entirely sure on, especially how many teeth and hat now for it.

upload_2018-7-21_14-4-6.png

Thanks for looking, and will be very interested in hearing the advice of others on this!

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Nice!
A few questions:
Is this gonna be salt, fresh or brackish tank?
Are you gonna add turtles?
Have you considered adding tropical plants above the water? Doing this will allow arowanas and such to jump out of the water for insects on the leaves, just like In nature.
Do you plan to use plant filtration and/or activated charcoal?
And lastly what do you want to stock?

TexasMFK31

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
Nice!
A few questions:
Is this gonna be salt, fresh or brackish tank?
Are you gonna add turtles?
Have you considered adding tropical plants above the water? Doing this will allow arowanas and such to jump out of the water for insects on the leaves, just like In nature.
Do you plan to use plant filtration and/or activated charcoal?
And lastly what do you want to stock?
I'm going to move all my stock from my 475 to it.

Black Arowana
All upper jaw species of bichir (Weeksii, Palmas Palmas, ornate, sen, Delhezi, retro, gold dust, moke, teugelsi).
6 tinfoil Barb
5 flagtail
1 royal clown knife
1 Indo Dat
1 RTGG

Additions that I'll start growing out end of next yr:
Texas Cichlid
Jaguar
Red Terror (maybe, on the fence with this guy)
Jack Dempsey
Tiger Oscar

The idea is while swapping out the tanks, everyone, growout and the current stock will move in together and the same time.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I'm going to move all my stock from my 475 to it.

Black Arowana
All upper jaw species of bichir (Weeksii, Palmas Palmas, ornate, sen, Delhezi, retro, gold dust, moke, teugelsi).
6 tinfoil Barb
5 flagtail
1 royal clown knife
1 Indo Dat
1 RTGG

Additions that I'll start growing out end of next yr:
Texas Cichlid
Jaguar
Red Terror (maybe, on the fence with this guy)
Jack Dempsey
Tiger Oscar

The idea is while swapping out the tanks, everyone, growout and the current stock will move in together and the same time.
Sounds cool, do you have any problems with flagtails fighting?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Nope, I have 2 bosses of the crew, and 3 more submissive flagtails. The 2 big guys are pushing 8" right bow.
Good to hear, just keep an eye on them as they aproach the 13-15 mark, as they can get really nasty at that size, but I think in the giant l-shaped tank this won't be a problem

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store