left off filter for 24h

Sarah J

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2018
Ok, so I did a big water change last night to help with my fish whom aren't doing as well. I was so proud of myself until I just got home from work.
The water column is filthy and there is a white film across my lava rock and accumulating on the lower glass. I didn't understand what was going on until I noticed that I had plugged the filter back in but didn't open the valves.
I drained the canister and added more conditioned water and turned it back on.
My question is, I worked so hard with my water change last night that I feel I need to do another one.
My goal is for my fish to have really good water but I think it's ruined now since the filter hasn't been on.
Can I do another water change this early with an established tank? When is the earliest I could do one?
I am feeling pretty defeated.

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
I agree with the above post, do a water change whenever you like the more the merrier!

I think the dirty water making you feel defeated is just based on what you are seeing...the dirt in the water column as you started is there bc your filter has been off for 24 hours. that will clear up in no time and if your really worried do another water change.

One thing to note now is how it has affected your Bb in your filter. test your water diligently over the next few days to ensure you have enough BB to keep up with the bio load because you might have caused yourself a mini cycle, in which case additional water changes will solve that problem.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

narayanang76

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2016
Bangalore, India
So mostly your tank nitrogen cycle would have crashed, checking water parameters will give this away. In any case water changes would be needed and constant water parameters monitoring. Water changes will only do good, so not to worry I think.

BTW I have seen the white film coat from my lava rock too sometimes, in my sump. I felt it's because of stagnant water. Once water starts circulating properly it would go away.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
When this happened to me, i made the mistake of immediately plugging the can back in. Water was immediately clouded with toxins and i had to evacuate some of the more sensitive fish.

I immediately began draining tank and adding water simultaneously for around 3 hours, one hose in one hose out, doing my best to maintain dosage of conditioner. After i cleaned out the can i hooked it back up while this was going on, so as to force fresh water through the system. Tank recovered and stabilized within a couple days.

Nick Park

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2017
Drogheda, Ireland
When this happened to me, i made the mistake of immediately plugging the can back in. Water was immediately clouded with toxins and i had to evacuate some of the more sensitive fish.

I immediately began draining tank and adding water simultaneously for around 3 hours, one hose in one hose out, doing my best to maintain dosage of conditioner. After i cleaned out the can i hooked it back up while this was going on, so as to force fresh water through the system. Tank recovered and stabilized within a couple days.
So rinsing the filter media in old tank water might be the best course of action?

I'll be interested to hear how this turns out. I've previously been told (in connection with power outages) that when a canister filter is left off the beneficial bacteria begin to die and are replaced with toxic bacteria.

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
Hopefully you have another filter on this tank?

Like said, most, if not all beneficial bacteria that were in this canister are now dead. I would have broken the canister down for a clean and re-do. If you are stocked somewhat lightly and the tank is well established, you may have enough BB on the hardscape to support the bio load. Have to verify with testing and be ready for WCs. I'd make sure to have a good water conditioner on hand too, like Seachem prime or Safe.

Reactions: BichirKing

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
Please share how does BB dies after 2,
3,6,9,12 or 24 hours
Complicated question. Bacteria growth and death is always due to a combination of time and temp. These factors would affect the rate massively. You could test at 72 degrees but results would not be the same at 80 or 50 degrees.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
So rinsing the filter media in old tank water might be the best course of action?

I'll be interested to hear how this turns out. I've previously been told (in connection with power outages) that when a canister filter is left off the beneficial bacteria begin to die and are replaced with toxic bacteria.
Yes in my case the fx6 was left off for around 24 hours. When i plugged it back in it spewed a cloud of gray-brown into my tank which reeked of sulfur and ammonia. Im not sure what went on in there but it was fairly obvious that a lot of my bb had died off and some other anaerobic bacteria had taken over.

In my case i essentially just ran fresh water into the tank and canister continuously for awhile because evacuating the whole tank was not an option at the time. I used a whole pint of stresscoat throughout the ordeal and may or may not have used a bb additive afterwards cant remember. The only ones i did get out were my pictus and clown loaches, who immediately began laboring and flailing around when i turned the can on. I had no deaths but i think i was lucky and acted pretty quick.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store