Let us old guys school the new generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
That wasn't an insult, it was a wake up call. For a starter you started this thread in the LOUNGE, where clearly most members or non members hang out looking to find design techniques. lol

And my comments are coming from someone who has seen JDM tanks in person, where more $$$ in fish & equipment was spent than the average citizen earns in a year. I can appreciate the costs, and the skill set involved to manage those types of systems, but the reality is I suspect most of those past set ups, and fish, are no longer. That doesn't impress me.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I'm disappointed. You've been on this site for a while. And now your throwing insults. If I didn't post this thread, a majority of people on this site would never even think or even know how to view tanks like these. Who knows maybe it will contribute to someone actually keeping monster fish instead of having a fish room packed with 10 gallon tanks that should be posted on aquaria central instead of a site called monsterfishkeepers
I think 30 x 10 gallon tanks is just as monster as a 300 gallon tank. Still a behemoth to set up and will certainly need more space and maintenance.

I admire a room full of well tended to and well stocked small tanks, even bigger ones more than I ever would a huge tank crammed full of big fish unfortunately.

Do you know what I think is cooler than a JDM tank? a MPT or MMT! Monster planted tanks are rare, but they are truly stunning and require so much more thought and attention than a big enough tank and a sump good enough to handle the crapload of fish in a JDM, as with monster marine tanks. Getting the balance is so much more rewarding than having every part of the fish rainbow in one tank.

And my comments are coming from someone who has seen JDM tanks in person, where more $$$ in fish & equipment was spent than the average citizen earns in a year. I can appreciate the costs, and the skill set involved to manage those types of systems, but the reality is I suspect most of those past set ups, and fish, are no longer. That doesn't impress me.
While these are cool to some degree, I think big tanks with light loads are so much better

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I'm not really an "old guy" but I have been on MFK for over 10 years now...
I think the quality of information has gone up honestly. People used to recommend Oscars for 55 gallons, things like that. Nowadays people who suggest things like that are ridiculed.
Maybe some people go a bit overboard with the upsizing tanks and downsizing fish advice... but that's better than an oversized fish in an undersized tank, which used to be much more common and accepted.
future.png

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
People used to recommend Oscars for 55 gallons, things like that. Nowadays people who suggest things like that are ridiculed.
I totally agree. I used to LOL at some of the idjits that used to give advice on this site, most likely kids, but they gave MFK a bad name back in the good old days. In fact, for a long time I didn't join because of all the idiots that were posting in the folders that I was interested in. I still see that happening today, but certainly not to the same extent. Some people just don't know when to sit on their hands, and feel the need to comment about everything, including things they have only read about online. It's the way of the world, but that part of this site has most definitely improved over the years.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I totally agree. I used to LOL at some of the idjits that used to give advice on this site, most likely kids, but they gave MFK a bad name back in the good old days. In fact, for a long time I didn't join because of all the idiots that were posting in the folders that I was interested in. I still see that happening today, but certainly not to the same extent. Some people just don't know when to sit on their hands, and feel the need to comment about everything, including things they have only read about online. It's the way of the world, but that part of this site has most definitely improved over the years.
Guilty.... But if information is based from net, members experience and personal deduction?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Some people should sit on their hands more. Period.

The goal for everyone should be quality, not quantity.

Reactions: Chub_by

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Some people should sit on their hands more. Period.

The goal for everyone should be quality, not quantity.
I guess that includes me too

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store