Let us old guys school the new generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I'm not really an old guy member, been here 5 years at the most. I am however no spring chicken and have been in the hobby a fair few years.
The reason I never joined the forum years ago was because I was put off by such things as jdm tanks,red tail cats in 300 gallons and so on. I used to believe mfk was not for me.
Then I started having a peek every now and then(mostly the cichlid sections)
I noticed that there were some really good posts and not everyone agreed with oscars in 55 gallon tanks. I decided to join and have never looked back.
For me at least, it's posts like the original link to this thread that kept me away and the shift towards lighter stocking and more gallons per fish inches that got me here.

Regarding Facebook,I can't stand it.

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
Can I politely tell you to put (use your imagination) in your (use your imagination)?

To the extent that this site is dying, so to are you lacking in a general appreciation of what it means to be a fish keeper. Pack away... not sure what you are packing... but I'm sure it's well packed. Consider your butt kicked. Please take off your little boy pants and post something that 1) makes sense and 2) is worth reading.
Nothing like a little drama to liven up the discussion/site, no?

For the record, I stand by the assertion that the OP has no idea what he's talking about re: what's best for the hobby. Suggesting that someone running a 20g is inferior in anyway does nothing but turn that newer hobbyist off of the hobby and this site. I have not been on this site as long as some, but I've been keeping fish for many years... you do not speak for this "old timer".

Whats this? The Grinch being an ass again? Some things just don't change, site activity is another matter though.
You've missed my point, see above. You should think carefully, as should neoprodigy neoprodigy , about whether allowing you to proudly fly the confederate flag as your avatar is good for site activity. If I was a fish keeper of color and I happened upon you, I can't imagine I'd be impressed with you or this forum.

Thank God for progress and a kinder view to fish welfare.
I love monster tanks just like to see fish not crammed in like,well,sardines.
+1. This can be a challenge with regard to instant gratification at the fish store, growing fish, and fish that simply grow larger. We should all strive to give our fish enough room to be healthy, not play clown-car with our fishy friends, as the OP suggests "the old timers would want".

I don't enjoy seeing fish packed into a glass box like sardines packed into a tin, never have, never will. And I'm one old guy that will never school anyone to keep fish in that manner, and for some of us old guys MFK was never about JDM tanks. Boo-hoo-hoo to all those that miss the good old days, quit pissing and moaning and make a real contribution, instead of dragging up old threads.

This thread isn't a solution to making anything better.
We have a winner.

I'm disappointed. You've been on this site for a while. And now your throwing insults. If I didn't post this thread, a majority of people on this site would never even think or even know how to view tanks like these. Who knows maybe it will contribute to someone actually keeping monster fish instead of having a fish room packed with 10 gallon tanks that should be posted on aquaria central instead of a site called monsterfishkeepers
Maybe your exclusive attitude is one of the reasons for decreased traffic?

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven

For the record, I stand by the assertion that the OP has no idea what he's talking about re: what's best for the hobby. Suggesting that someone running a 20g is inferior in anyway does nothing but turn that newer hobbyist off of the hobby and this site. I have not been on this site as long as some, but I've been keeping fish for many years... you do not speak for this "old timer".

You've missed my point, see above. You should think carefully, as should neoprodigy neoprodigy , about whether allowing you to proudly fly the confederate flag as your avatar is good for site activity. If I was a fish keeper of color and I happened upon you, I can't imagine I'd be impressed with you or this forum.

+1. This can be a challenge with regard to instant gratification at the fish store, growing fish, and fish that simply grow larger. We should all strive to give our fish enough room to be healthy, not play clown-car with our fishy friends, as the OP suggests "the old timers would want".

We have a winner.

Dude you are one angry guy. The sad thing is your from NJ as well so this means sooner or later we will run into each other at fish meets. Then you can tell me how inexperienced I really am. This isn't an argument it's a discussion forum. Voice your opinion and be gone. you're the only one causing trouble here. So get over it before you get the thread closed please

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn

We have a winner.

Oh so you speak for the entire race you aren't even part of?

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
Dude you are one angry guy. The sad thing is your from NJ as well so this means sooner or later we will run into each other at fish meets. Then you can tell me how inexperienced I really am. This isn't an argument it's a discussion forum. Voice your opinion and be gone. you're the only one causing trouble here. So get over it before you get the thread closed please
Maybe we already know each other ;)

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Oh so you speak for the entire race you aren't even part of?
Please guys, this is a fish forum don't get this started here.

tarheel96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2015
North Carolina
jsodwi said:
If I didn't post this thread, a majority of people on this site would never even think or even know how to view tanks like these. Who knows maybe it will contribute to someone actually keeping monster fish ...
It's good to see how things are done differently. There's always something interesting that can be learned from it.

What kind of filtration was used to deal with the bioload in those tanks? That's a lot of water to change considering how high the nitrate accumulation would be. What kind of water change system was typically used? Auto-drip?

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
You guys think JDMs are something? Here's something to blow steam at. Some of these guys are running bigger setups with higher stocking rates than even the biggest nut in mfk's golden years could dream of.
]https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs...+tilapia+fish+tank&fr2=sp-qrw-corr-top&norw=1
It's good to see how things are done differently. There's always something interesting that can be learned from it.

What kind of filtration was used to deal with the bioload in those tanks? That's a lot of water to change considering how high the nitrate accumulation would be. What kind of water change system was typically used? Auto-drip?[/QUOTE
If you follow that link, you will see systems with filtration powerful beyond your grandest desires. ;)

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
You guys think JDMs are something? Here's something to blow steam at. Some of these guys are running bigger setups with higher stocking rates than even the biggest nut in mfk's golden years could dream of.
]https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs...+tilapia+fish+tank&fr2=sp-qrw-corr-top&norw=1
I was at Epcot this past winter. They have a sick tilapia breeding setup on display and I think a channel cat setup too. Tanks were crystal clear and th fish seems to be very healthy

Reactions: J. H.
Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store