lifereef sump questions

awdawg

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2006
Des Moines, IA
So I emailed the lifereef email to try to ask them about a sump I picked up secondhand from a buddy. Never seen it setup, however it appears far from a basic setup and I'm not super experienced with sumps. If anyone here can assist or has advice etc here is the email I sent to them:

I have recently purchased a sump secondhand from a friend that had not used it and knows little to nothing about it. I've been trying to do some research on your site to see what I can learn. I believe it is a "Berlin System" per what I see.

I'm guessing it was built in May of 95 by the date scratched into the sump. The measurements are 41 x 14 x 14.75 which sounds close to the LF1-300s listed on your site.
It looks to have an optional trio of media cylinders or canisters installed. Are those special for salt? If not would they just be for carbon generally, or perhaps a good place to through some bio media?

As well this sump has a plethora of hoses coming out of it, I'm not sure what side is supposed to be return etc.
I was also given a large predator pdfs-1 protein skimmer. I run freshwater tanks currently so I don't believe I would need to use that.

I am curious if by chance you have some generic setup documentation for this sump, as well if this is a good sump to use for freshwater or if it is salt/reef specific?

I was given 2 external pumps, I believe I read that the cylinders are normally powered off an internal pump?

I have attached some images of the sump, any help or documentation for such a unit would be most appreciated!

I don't need to use this right now and I may save it for a while in case I ever need to do a salt setup, either way this seems a lot more complicated then most sumps I've seen.

Thanks all

20150902_224612.jpg

20150902_224623.jpg

20150902_224646.jpg

20150902_224714.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store