Lighting for 150 gal

Roz

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2016
Minneapolis, MN
I have read a few posts on here about lighting and I am wondering if anyone has an suggestions on lighting for a 150 gallon cichlid tank that is about 30" deep. I am currently running T8's but have been considering switching to LED's. I know there are so many different options for lighting these days. I do not have any live plants, fish only, and my goals is to show off the colors of my cichlids. I have LED's on my other tanks but I am just not sure they will be bright enough for my larger tank.

Any suggestions / links / tips are appreciated! Thanks!!

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Is there a theme to the tank? Ie Amazon, African riverine, Central American.

LED Spotlights are nice to provide focal points in Amazon themed tanks, Africans thrive in a brightly lit tank to help display their colors and Central Americas are somewhere In between.

Reactions: Roz

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Bought these for my 200 gallon that is 72" long. I got the 48" version of it and god damn they're bright! I had some aqueon regular bulbs in there before. I was going to see if it would be bright enough if not buy another one but they're perfect.
30$ is not much for lights and they're BRIGHT!!!!
I got it from a recommendation from a member on here.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Light-4...421459?hash=item3aba94ddd3:g:jYsAAOSwSHZWe0mg

Reactions: Roz

Roz

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2016
Minneapolis, MN
Is there a theme to the tank? Ie Amazon, African riverine, Central American.

LED Spotlights are nice to provide focal points in Amazon themed tanks, Africans thrive in a brightly lit tank to help display their colors and Central Americas are somewhere In between.
I have a variety of African Cichlids, mainly from Lake Malawi. I went for variety and color, as this is my "show" tank. I have used lights on other tanks that have the reds and blues in them to make the colors pop on the fish, but I was just curious as to what others are using.

Roz

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2016
Minneapolis, MN
Bought these for my 200 gallon that is 72" long. I got the 48" version of it and god damn they're bright! I had some aqueon regular bulbs in there before. I was going to see if it would be bright enough if not buy another one but they're perfect.
30$ is not much for lights and they're BRIGHT!!!!
I got it from a recommendation from a member on here.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Light-4...421459?hash=item3aba94ddd3:g:jYsAAOSwSHZWe0mg

Thanks for the link. I will definitely check into these! I appreciate it.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I use a current satelite led plus on my 150. Does a decent job

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Probably need at least one of these.