Livening up a 90g tank

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I've never kept bichirs but I believe they are bottom dwellers and aren't particular active, so I can understand you wanting to liven things up.

I agree with Ogertron3000 Ogertron3000 that the best way of doing that is to add a school of active smaller fish to balance up the bichirs inactivity, but aren't bichirs predators? Like I said I've never kept them. Do they actually chase and seek out prey or are they more ambush? Would they dart up to grab a midwater meal?

A geographically correct choice, and they attain a decent size, and are stunning, are what you've already had, Congo Tetras. I know you've had bad luck with them. Though I can't quite understand why, they are relatively easy to keep aren't they?

Maybe you just got a bad batch or something. Are you not tempted to try again?

Reactions: Ogertron3000

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
I've never kept bichirs but I believe they are bottom dwellers and aren't particular active, so I can understand you wanting to liven things up.

I agree with Ogertron3000 Ogertron3000 that the best way of doing that is to add a school of active smaller fish to balance up the bichirs inactivity, but aren't bichirs predators? Like I said I've never kept them. Do they actually chase and seek out prey or are they more ambush? Would they dart up to grab a midwater meal?

A geographically correct choice, and they attain a decent size, and are stunning, are what you've already had, Congo Tetras. I know you've had bad luck with them. Though I can't quite understand why, they are relatively easy to keep aren't they?

Maybe you just got a bad batch or something. Are you not tempted to try again?
depends on the bichir itself ?. I’ve had bichirs just lay they in wait, waiting for one to move in front of its face and lightning strike.
Others I’ve had will chase feeder fish relentlessly

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
I’m all ears for large tetras. I’ve tried congos and they did not work out. Tetras are also hard to find when large. Maybe a single large fish? That’s easiest to find in my opinion.
I don’t know much about bichirs due to how uncommon and outrageously expensive they are here so can’t give a truly informed opinion but any largish schooling fish should work. Maybe some type of barb or larger live bearer like mollies. If you want something truly unusual some butterfly fish or hatchets to hang on the surface? That would be a cool tank but with bichirs on the bottom andbutterflies on the top but it will leave the middle empty so won’t really solve your problem.
I still think a school of fish will do better than a single fish to solve the issue personally.

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
I would rather keep a fish without having to change anything, as I don’t want to mess up. Would a Hujeta Gar or Striped Pike Characin be ok? Any other gar or Characin that doesn’t reach over 16”, but is larger than 12”?
There is the gold/ red wolf. They reach average 9”, and are one of the more active wolves out there ?. If I’m not wrong deadeye is planning to get one for his 55g also? Both of you can get it at the same time

Xnhx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2022
What makes you think that? The bichirs average 12”.
The Senegal has the potential to reach 28" and the delhezi could reach around 18". If they're all still around 12" you're ok but, while uncommon, those sizes are possible.

• Haha
Reactions: Caveden

Xnhx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2022
Let me guess....google told you that?
No.. I was going off the sizes of the birchirs. Under ideal conditions the Senegal can reach over 2 feet. I did misunderstand the tank dimensions though, so it isn't as bad as I originally thought.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store