Livening up a 90g tank

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Maybe a small school of giant danios or roseline sharks?
Those would require the same altering as the red tail shark of a powerhead for flow and high oxygen, which Shadow didn't want to do.

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
The Senegal has the potential to reach 28" and the delhezi could reach around 18". If they're all still around 12" you're ok but, while uncommon, those sizes are possible.
First things first, welcome to the forum.
what kind of fish do you keep? I’m assuming you have not kept bichirs before?

• Haha
Reactions: DMD123

Xnhx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2022
First things first, welcome to the forum.
what kind of fish do you keep? I’m assuming you have not kept bichirs before?
Thank you. I have not. I'm hoping to in the future so I've done a bit of research. But no. If I am that mistaken with what I said, I'd love a proper correction. Sarcasm doesn't seem to teach much :)

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Thank you. I have not. I'm hoping to in the future so I've done a bit of research. But no. If I am that mistaken with what I said, I'd love a proper correction. Sarcasm doesn't seem to teach much :)
Senegals and delhezis dont reach more than 20” in length. CB (captive bred) senegals and delhezis reach only reach around 10-12”, and WC (wild caught) senegals and delhezis reach about 14-18” in length. I think the largest Senegal I’ve seen was 18”, from lake turkana on this forum somewhere.

only lower jawed species of bichirs have the potential to reach more than 20”, sometimes exceeding 30”. The largest species of bichir is the congicus bichir, the largest one ever caught reaching 43” in length. Many different lower and upper jaw bichir species but I’m lazy to mention all now. How this somewhat helps ?

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Let me give you a little tip. Most of the information on bichir length and tank size is wrong. But it’s ok, as the forum is a place to learn. Delhezis, senegals, Mokelembembes are all good in a 55g tank, as long as the sens and dels are captive bred. Captive bred albino sens are good in a 40g, as they rarely reach 6”. A good rule of thumb, however, is to double the length of your fish for width, and triple the length of your fish for length. This is not for every species, but it is a good rule of thumb with bichirs. The species mentioned do fine in 12” wide tanks, but I do recommend a larger tank size. The Palmas, though the biggest one in the tank, is around 14”.

I wont mention the size, as Caveden Caveden did that.

Another thing to mention is that in my experience Bichirs grow really fast until around 8-10”, and then their growing rapidly decreases.

Back to the topic.

Medium tetras, like Congo’s would work, but I would need to find full grown Congos. The problem I had with congos is that they kept killing each other off. And by the end I only had 3-4 males, which fought and fought relentlessly. They also broke most of Sparkys finlets.

Would piranhas work, or would they eat my plants? I agree with the schooling fish, but it is hard to find large schooling fish for sale anywhere. If I got an African butterfly fish, how big would it need to be? tlindsey tlindsey .

Reactions: tlindsey

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Let me give you a little tip. Most of the information on bichir length and tank size is wrong. But it’s ok, as the forum is a place to learn. Delhezis, senegals, Mokelembembes are all good in a 55g tank, as long as the sens and dels are captive bred. Captive bred albino sens are good in a 40g, as they rarely reach 6”. A good rule of thumb, however, is to double the length of your fish for width, and triple the length of your fish for length. This is not for every species, but it is a good rule of thumb with bichirs. The species mentioned do fine in 12” wide tanks, but I do recommend a larger tank size. The Palmas, though the biggest one in the tank, is around 14”.

I wont mention the size, as Caveden Caveden did that.

Another thing to mention is that in my experience Bichirs grow really fast until around 8-10”, and then their growing rapidly decreases.

Back to the topic.

Medium tetras, like Congo’s would work, but I would need to find full grown Congos. The problem I had with congos is that they kept killing each other off. And by the end I only had 3-4 males, which fought and fought relentlessly. They also broke most of Sparkys finlets.

Would piranhas work, or would they eat my plants? I agree with the schooling fish, but it is hard to find large schooling fish for sale anywhere. If I got an African butterfly fish, how big would it need to be? tlindsey tlindsey .
I mean king of DIY has a shoal of piranhas in a heavily planted 500g tank. But I wouldn’t keep them with bichirs. Your bichirs will get eaten up.

and yes a flagtail Will eat your plants lol

Xnhx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2022
Thank you for the correction. I was looking at birchirs for my 55 and everyone said I would really need 100gallon+ and that they get much larger. Now that I have a 75 im gonna revisit that idea. I appreciate the info!

Reactions: The Masked Shadow
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store