Logging the pond and it's inhabitants

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
The person selling this says it's a good specimen, but I am not that knowledgeable when it comes to arowana grades and quality. Hence wanted check what it could be worth, the asking price is nearly 500usd.
That price seems fair if not good value imho (if again it's healthy and robust upon subsequent viewing); comparatively a mostly crossed (6th level) BBXB with cert from a good farm will go for about US$1,000-$1,200+ nowadays.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Well tried hand feeding em today morning, some of them were a little wary, the smaller ones were a lot more gentle, the bigger guys were in a hurry and biting fingers and fleeing rather than taking food.

monsteraqua

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2016
South East Asia
That price seems fair if not good value imho (if again it's healthy and robust upon subsequent viewing); comparatively a mostly crossed (6th level) BBXB with cert from a good farm will go for about US$1,000-$1,200+ nowadays.
huh, I live in singapore bought mine for $250 USD, Grade A, top level scales, etc.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
huh, I live in singapore bought mine for $250 USD, Grade A, top level scales, etc.
Wow, that's absolutely fantastic, you're so lucky....no way anyone is going to find a high grade, 6th level crossed ~9-10" BBXB with cert. here in Thailand anywhere near $250 USD (whether it was bred here, Malaysia or Singapore), even at Chatuchak, one of the world's largest aquarium markets. Btw, how big was your fish when you paid that price, plz show photo and cert.

Reactions: Matteus

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Wow, that's absolutely fantastic, you're so lucky....no way anyone is going to find a high grade, 6th level crossed ~9-10" BBXB with cert. here in Thailand anywhere near $250 USD (whether it was bred here, Malaysia or Singapore), even at Chatuchak, one of the world's largest aquarium markets. Btw, how big was your fish when you paid that price, plz show photo and cert.
Never mind bro, just saw your fish on your thread: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/bluebase-crossback-bbxb.721288/#post-8143602

With all due respect, while a nice looking fish, imho it's currently only crossed to 5th level, not all the way across the back 6th level (but would need a shot directly overhead to tell for sure). If that's a Grade A in your book then basically I'm referring to Grade AA or AAA when I say $1,000-1,200 USD (though I should have also clarified in my post I was referring to about 10", not 8 or 9" which was the size you bought yours as).

Also in that same thread you state: "Just under t5 purple because very rarely you can get a pure bbxb at the price I got it for." So I'd guess a regularly priced 5th level BBXB there might be, what, about $400-500? If so that would be about same pricing in Thailand for a similar quality BB.

Last edited:
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

The weekend I had enough time to make another hand feeding video, and this time it was taken underwater.
Cool. I see a pattern. You really don't think much of your skin. In half a year they should draw blood more easily.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Cool. I see a pattern. You really don't think much of your skin. In half a year they should draw blood more easily.
Lol
Always have scars on hands, I work in factory you see.

Although I did learn my lesson about not hand feeding a 28" diplogramma, after two deep lacerations, that needed a few stitches

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store