Look at this idiot

Good to know. Brackish keepers are exceedingly few.

IMHO even that would have been a much better thread title "I am extremely repulsed".

For the sake of the argument, wrong ID is overall not a big offense. Many commit it, myself included. I once thought I had two 2' bullheads, which turned out to be channel catfish. Now I can say, duh!? But back then I was pointed out wrong and, praise the Lord, no one (on Planet Catfish) called me an idiot for the whole world to hear.

Time goes on. People learn. Few don't but I'd say let them be. People are free.

If you really want to make a difference, why not create your own channel, which anyone can do, and educate the world on what's right and wrong? You can do it with your tanks and activities and also reference and use videos like this one of Joey's as an example. An aquariumist critic channel. I'd aim to do it constructively and politely. Praise him for what he's done good and right and suggest what you'd do differently.

Doing it on MFK is good too but it's also a bit like preaching to the quire. Besides, the video was published Sep 21 2018 and today it's got well over 1 million views. Posting on MFK will not do much at all to counterbalance the harm this video has been causing.

Just my $0.02.

No problem, mate. My critique was directed at our brother Adrian the OP first and foremost. My suggestion could be used by you too. Make a channel. Educate. Raise awareness. Promote good. Do it artfully, tastefully, engagingly, and like a gentleman. People are attracted to goodness even if subconsciously. That would take a bite out of the harmful videos out there. One video, one view at a time. Otherwise, it's all bark. Moreover, a bark behind someone's back.

I am not saying I want to have you or Adrian call Joey an idiot in his face. I don't want it to be done in face or behind back. Behind back is cowardly. In face is stupid. If someone says "Oh I have no problem saying it to his face" that's all fine and dandy and this person may have the integrity but chances are this integrity won't help him die of natural causes. It will most likely be from a gunshot or a knife stab on a street sooner or later. Being polite has its perks too, like dying in your bed surrounded by your children and grandchildren, having confessed and communed and made peace with all before death.

And not calling someone an idiot to their face would not be done out of cowardice but because your Daddy and your Mommy raised a gentleman and no fool. Such people will not look the other way when bullies gang up on one guy, or a guy harrasses or gropes a girl, or a robber snatches grandmother's purse, or a shooter points a gun at your classmates, or a car with someone inside catches on fire, or an enemy attacks your country, etc.

That's heroism. It's stupid to die in a rage case over a fish or because someone cut and flipped you off.

I have. Half of them are critical. Not sure what you are hinting at here? I think they are well balanced from reading 3-4 pages worth.

Catch'em all guy is Zak and Joey is his student and sidekick. Zak makes a living off YouTube, I imagine, and Joey would like too. They both came to my place a couple of times, one time with Zak adopting an RTC and a pacu before I knew better.
I've thought of doing this before. But I feel like i'd be repeating the same stuff over and over, like don't buy koi for a bowl, you need a heater for your bettas, cycle your tank, common plecos get big, pacus get big, rtc get big, etc etc. And I don't think people would listen much either. Like maybe some beginners will come to their senses and buy a platy or something for their 10 gallon (instead of a goldfish) but most won't care. They won't let one video made by some guy stop them from getting a clownfish and putting it in their goldfish bowl with raw tap water (yes this is real and i have seen it). In the end I don't think it would make much difference.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
No real point just noticed how many insults there were... a couple of friendly and fair criticisms too what i saw was allot of anger but didnt read all of them...
Oh, gotcha, gotcha. You are saying rudeness prevails, so perhaps no biggie if it happens here, right? Not digging under you, just trying to understand your train of thought.

I've thought of doing this before. But I feel like i'd be repeating the same stuff over and over, like don't buy koi for a bowl, you need a heater for your bettas, cycle your tank, common plecos get big, pacus get big, rtc get big, etc etc. And I don't think people would listen much either. Like maybe some beginners will come to their senses and buy a platy or something for their 10 gallon (instead of a goldfish) but most won't care. They won't let one video made by some guy stop them from getting a clownfish and putting it in their goldfish bowl with raw tap water (yes this is real and i have seen it). In the end I don't think it would make much difference.
If you think "In the end I don't think it would make much difference", you are saying that you believe there'd be a small difference. Isn't that worth it?

One such video will be more than zero videos. If it is good, people will follow with their channels.

You gotta be creative. By the time you shoot and edit and publish a video on all the topics you have already mentioned, you will have accomplished something.

But I am afraid I didn't make one point clear enough. You want to criticize? Film critical and balanced reviews (but be considerate). No need to sound like a broken record. There is only one billion of videos on the net featuring poor fish husbandry to start criticizing. I am not aware of such a channel yet, so one could be a trailblazer.

Reactions: Matteus

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Why do you have that impression?
I am trying to digest your post #11 quoting my post but obviously failing so far haha. Is SMH directed at me, Adrian, YouTube warriors, or else?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I am trying to digest your post #11 quoting my post but obviously failing so far haha. Is SMH directed at me, Adrian, YouTube warriors, or else?
No, SMH was directed at majority of the youtube posts. Seemed like allot of venom

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
No, SMH was directed at majority of the youtube posts. Seemed like allot of venom
Yup. It seems to bring up to the surface the worst of many people, like crap which floats. They don't need to hide it anymore. So instead of enjoying the view of a mystic, boundless, and glistening ocean, we see half of it covered in floating feces people fling at each other.

Reactions: Matteus

Supergeorge123

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2018
So is that a water cow? I keep seeing hoplias species mislabeled as them in most stores. I am not really a fan of these guys because it seems that a lot of their videos are filled with so much abuse of animals, fish or not, whether they are pets or fishing. The last video i watched was where zac stuck a knife up some carp and sliced open its swim bladder.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store