Macrobrachium gracilirostris - The coolest prawn you've never heard of

xenacanth9

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2021
Macrobrachium gracilirostris is a Taiwanese species of giant freshwater prawn. Not sure how big they get, just wanted you guys to check it out. Very interesting colors. I know Wes got them in once or twice, but that's because they're aquatic animals that live in freshwater, and Wes is Wes. Not sure how big they get.

Any experience or advice would be appreciated, but the goal of this thread is mainly just to let people know about this awesome crustacean.

1636581729752.png

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Macrobrachium gracilirostris is a Taiwanese species of giant freshwater prawn. Not sure how big they get, just wanted you guys to check it out. Very interesting colors. I know Wes got them in once or twice, but that's because they're aquatic animals that live in freshwater, and Wes is Wes. Not sure how big they get.

Any experience or advice would be appreciated, but the goal of this thread is mainly just to let people know about this awesome crustacean.

View attachment 1478590
Love his Lil spike mohawk. He's got some fantastic color and pattern too. Wonder how expensive they are tho, bet they are pricey.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
In addition to just a bigger pet prawn than the usual red cherry prawns, I'd imagine these would make good live feeders for bigger carnivorous fish (such as pangasius, red tail catfish, tiger shovelnose catfish, and so on) too.

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
Wonder how much money those goes for! Reminds me of candystripe or peppermint shrimp (did i get the label wrong?) Anyone know of any shrimp thats so full of colors a FW version of a SW pistol shrimp? Thats the color That will convince me to keep shrimp that costs more than 2 bucks each. Beautiful shrimps! Yeah know they tank busters but wow its beautiful.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Wonder how much money those goes for! Reminds me of candystripe or peppermint shrimp (did i get the label wrong?) Anyone know of any shrimp thats so full of colors a FW version of a SW pistol shrimp? Thats the color That will convince me to keep shrimp that costs more than 2 bucks each. Beautiful shrimps! Yeah know they tank busters but wow its beautiful.
On the note of pistols, there is a freshwater one but it is rare and never imported.
That shrimp looks amazing! I never really think of keeping shrimp in freshwater outside of cherries and ghosts, but that is certainly a species that would be cool to keep. This one reminds me of a boxer shrimp the way the claws are, but with different colors.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store