Making Money to Maintain Fish

KelberiFishLover19

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2018
Everyone knows that keeping fish(especially big fish) is expensive. As a younger person who cannot get employed because of age, I just cannot figure out ways to make money for my hobby. I have 3 tanks currently and am barely maintaining them because I am always short on money. I had about 100$ in money for additional things for my tanks but one of my fish had Hole in the Head when I got him and I had to treat him. Also I had a filter break and then I had to pay for that. I am very low on money and don’t know what to do. I am 2 years away from being able to be employed. I am thinking about asking my LFS if I can work for them in the summer. I am a bit nervous to ask although because I don’t know what they will say and it is a family run business I think. Most of them know who I am because I am always in there but because I am only a young teen, I don’t think they’ll give me a job. I also mow lawns but that doesn’t pay much. Any suggestions on how to get some money? Also should I ask my LFS to work there or no?

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I would ask your LFS if you could at least volunteer to help and maybe they will 'pay' you in some supplies or reduced cost to you. I volunteered when I was underage and they paid me $1 per hour which was a good price in the early 1970's. I also gained a lot of experience that way.

Yard work for neighbors besides mowing may be an option such as pulling weeds, raking leaves, etc.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Pet sitting? Not sure in your area but in some places (like Seattle where my sis lives) people pay pretty good money for good and responsible pet sitters. Start with friends, family or post on a local online forum. Just an idea and good to see your prepared to work for your money/hobby, it'll serve you well in life.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I worked at a tropical fish store when I was 13. So go ask them. Start low and work your way up. At least you should get discounts on stuff.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I would ask your LFS if you could at least volunteer to help and maybe they will 'pay' you in some supplies or reduced cost to you. I volunteered when I was underage and they paid me $1 per hour which was a good price in the early 1970's. I also gained a lot of experience that way.

Yard work for neighbors besides mowing may be an option such as pulling weeds, raking leaves, etc.

Yes did something similar and was paid under the table or would take fish food or aquarium supplies for payment. I had to convince the owner/manager that I could sell and take care of fish and small animals.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
How should I ask them? Should I just go there and ask or what? I feel like they’ll look at me as a kid and look at me weird.
Tell them what you told us. That you love tropical fish, its your hobby and you need some money to keep it going. Tell em you will mop floors, take out the trash, service the tanks, whatever. The worst they can do is say no. It was a long time ago when I was 13 but I think I left my name and number.
Tell them what school you go to. Just be enthused. Don't be afraid of someone saying no. Thats part of growing up. BTW the fish store I worked for was a mom and pop. Owned by 2 brothers really. It was called Sunset Aquarium in/near Hollywood. Brings back memories.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store