Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
I just fried my brain trying to see how these things would work and what I'm going to do...
So my initial plan was to get a 20 gallon tank with a marbled honduran red point and some tetras. As for the tetras, I was thinking about getting either Columbian blue and red tetras or long fin serpae tetras. Then I got some platies for my planted tank, and immediately got attached to them, and thought they'd be nice dithers, adding color to the tank.
So here are my questions, they go from relevant questions to just questions I have.
1. Can serpae tetras live or even school with Columbian tetras?
2. Should I go with the combination of marigold and blue wag platies or tiger and blue spotted platies if I go with platies as dithers?
3. Would platies or tetras be better dithers?
4. Can platies live with normal convicts?
5. Would a pair of hrp's be better?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Hello,
1. Yes they can live together, wont school together tightly but most tetras will swim together a bit. But in a 20 gallon I have found actual schooling activity is reduced, which might be because the fish are always close together anyway and don't feel the need to stick in a school. Just my guess.
2. I'd say get whichever you like best
3. My vote would be platies because they are geographically correct. Or swordtails.
4. Depends on the convict, some will be fine some might kill them.
5. I have found HRP's to be slightly less aggressive but only slightly. But yes I would say better chance with the HRPs. Nanoluteus would be even better for a 20 in my opinion.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Don't worry yourself about it too much, they are all suitable it should come down to what you like best.
I will try to answer your questions based on my experience, keep in mind I'm not an expert!

1. They can live together but won't shoal. Personally I think one school of a single type of fish looks better than two.
2. Pick whichever platie you think will look best.
3. I prefer tetras but it wouldn't make too much difference I imagine. Possibly if you want a biotope platies may be more correct. Someone will be able to give more details on biotope suitability I think.
4. They can but need a decent size tank or they will get beaten up a lot.
5. I'm not too familiar with this fish but if they breed like convicts you will end up with hundreds of them if you get a pair!

let us know what you choose to go with.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Thanks for the response, and
5. I have found HRP's to be slightly less aggressive but only slightly. But yes I would say better chance with the HRPs. Nanoluteus would be even better for a 20 in my opinion.
My plan was to get one or two of Jeff Rapps' marbled honduran red points.
But in a 20 gallon I have found actual schooling activity is reduced, which might be because the fish are always close together anyway and don't feel the need to stick in a school. Just my guess.
I have a ten gallon with a small acara and some red eye tetras as dithers (I know they get big I'll rehome them when they get near 3 inches) and they seem to school pretty well, they're all still about an inch or less.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
5. I'm not too familiar with this fish but if they breed like convicts you will end up with hundreds of them if you get a pair!
that's one of the things I like about hrps, (or rather I like the opposite) they're known for having very small spawns (40 to 50 average)

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Also, (if anyone knows) can an hrp breed with a convict? I mean they're pretty closely related... Problem is one is no aggressive... If it's a male hrp and a female convict would that work? Only problem with that is that male hrp's are just as big as (or a little bigger than) female convicts, male hrp's maxing out at 4 inches, female convicts also getting about 3-4 inches.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
They can hybridize, but whether that is a good idea might be the ultimate question, adding more unidentifiable mutts to an already muted up group?
In my opinion, it is not, unless you use the fry as feeders.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Thanks for the response, and

My plan was to get one or two of Jeff Rapps' marbled honduran red points.

I have a ten gallon with a small acara and some red eye tetras as dithers (I know they get big I'll rehome them when they get near 3 inches) and they seem to school pretty well, they're all still about an inch or less.
i think the presence of the acara is key to the schooling activity. ive found that tetras school much closer and more actively when there is a predator in the vicinity. trick is finding the one that will chase them but not actually kill them. your red points should work well i think.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
i think the presence of the acara is key to the schooling activity. ive found that tetras school much closer and more actively when there is a predator in the vicinity. trick is finding the one that will chase them but not actually kill them. your red points should work well i think.
Oh yeah she chases them, doesn't really nip at them, she just chases them off so she can eat. (say there's food on the ground and the tetras are eating- she'll charge at the nearest tetra to get it away from 'her' food.)

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
They can hybridize, but whether that is a good idea might be the ultimate question, adding more unidentifiable mutts to an already muted up group?
In my opinion, it is not, unless you use the fry as feeders.
I thought all convicts already were mutts. (besides for ones you buy from Rapps or whatever)

Platies will never school, and if you mix two strains in the same tank, the hybrid babies usually won't look like the parents.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store