Marble and Mini Marble Difference

Ray Christopher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2017
NJ
Is there such thing as a mini marble?

Are all marbles considered mini marbles?

If not, what is the size difference between the two?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: yargnits

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
marbles can reach 24-30 inches
while mini's can reach 10-12 inches

i will let the people who have minis chime in

Reactions: Ray Christopher

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
That's a very good question. Lots of people throw around the term mini. Interested to hear from those that feel there is a difference and what the differences are.

SHARK13

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
They are a different variant of marbles, like the BD is to Leopoldi. Yes they exists, they top out at 14" females usually 10" males. Where as full sized marbles are 18-24"+.

Freshwater4Life

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2015
VB
Yea I have been interested in this myself. One of my male marbles came from parents where the mom was about 18" and the Dad about 13" so that's borderline "mini" I guess. Find out in a couple of years lol. He's at about 9" now and about 7 months old .

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Here's my question - how much larger would you expect a ray to grow AFTER he/she begins reproducing?

Female Marble has pups at say 8" across. IS she having pups at less then half her expected adult size or is it safe to say IF she's having pups at 8" across that she wouldn't be expected to get a whole lot bigger?

SHARK13

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
Here's my question - how much larger would you expect a ray to grow AFTER he/she begins reproducing?

Female Marble has pups at say 8" across. IS she having pups at less then half her expected adult size or is it safe to say IF she's having pups at 8" across that she wouldn't be expected to get a whole lot bigger?
Well one girl here had her first litter at 10"-11" she's now slightly under 15" and 7ish years old. I thought she would max out at 12", even though I knew she was a Venezuelan. Where as another Columbian girl here has maxed out at 12" after many litters. Even if girls start having pups at 8" they won't stay 8". It's rare to see any female under 12" after they are much older, even hystrix or scobina. They generally put on size with every litter. Males on the other hand, once rolled, seem to slow down significantly or just stop in general. The mini marble boys here topped out at 9" and 10".
If anyone has a mini female 6-7 years old or older that has bred multiple times, and still under 10"-12" I'd like to see it. I'm not saying they don't exist, but I have never seen one that I can recall. I've seen many 3-4 year old girls who have not bred or only bred once or twice that are 11"-12" and people call them mini. When they are clearly not even a Columbian fish lol.

Reactions: gangster

SHARK13

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
Yea I have been interested in this myself. One of my male marbles came from parents where the mom was about 18" and the Dad about 13" so that's borderline "mini" I guess. Find out in a couple of years lol. He's at about 9" now and about 7 months old .
I would say those are average sized marbles. I would guess 9" at 7 months old he's no where near done growing lol.

Freshwater4Life

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2015
VB
I would say those are average sized marbles. I would guess 9" at 7 months old he's no where near done growing lol.
lol yea def not. Just heard some people consider anything below 13" or so as "minis" but I don't know lol splitting hairs I guess

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store