Marble and Mini Marble Difference

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I have no first-hand experience but I remember learning that the mini-marbles have a third row of small spots around the perimeter of their disc, whereas the regular marbles have only two rows of spots around the perimeter of their disc, and those spots are not as small as the mini-marble.

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Well one girl here had her first litter at 10"-11" she's now slightly under 15" and 7ish years old. I thought she would max out at 12", even though I knew she was a Venezuelan. Where as another Columbian girl here has maxed out at 12" after many litters. Even if girls start having pups at 8" they won't stay 8". It's rare to see any female under 12" after they are much older, even hystrix or scobina. They generally put on size with every litter. Males on the other hand, once rolled, seem to slow down significantly or just stop in general. The mini marble boys here topped out at 9" and 10".
If anyone has a mini female 6-7 years old or older that has bred multiple times, and still under 10"-12" I'd like to see it. I'm not saying they don't exist, but I have never seen one that I can recall. I've seen many 3-4 year old girls who have not bred or only bred once or twice that are 11"-12" and people call them mini. When they are clearly not even a Columbian fish lol.
Curious how to tell a Colombian Marble from a Venezuelen. My large female is Wild from Colombia. I ask to learn, so I know how to tell. (-:

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Not marbles, but my hystrix have not grown much since they started reproducing. The male was mature at 6-6.5" several years ago. He is now about 8". The female had her first litter around 10.5-11" five years ago. She is now a bit over 12". IME, ray growth slows down once they start breeding. While pregnant, a lot of a female's energy goes to the pups and not her growth.

Reactions: ShadowStryder

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I have 2 marbles that are both under 12" both reproduced several times. Will be interesting to see how much they continue to grow. The older of the 2 has only put on an inch maybe 2 since her first litter 4 years ago. Not sure she's even 11 inches across. Her first born didn't hit 7" in almost 4 years.

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
There are races of mini marbles out there... that being said way to many people call there rays mini when they are not (or do not know yet). There are some visual clues like the spotting mentioned above but that is not a definitive way to know. At this point the only way I am comfortable knowing a marble is a mini is if i know the parents are or you can get a hold of a prego female under 12 inches. Good luck.

Reactions: Bigfishnut

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
Well one girl here had her first litter at 10"-11" she's now slightly under 15" and 7ish years old. I thought she would max out at 12", even though I knew she was a Venezuelan. Where as another Columbian girl here has maxed out at 12" after many litters. Even if girls start having pups at 8" they won't stay 8". It's rare to see any female under 12" after they are much older, even hystrix or scobina. They generally put on size with every litter. Males on the other hand, once rolled, seem to slow down significantly or just stop in general. The mini marble boys here topped out at 9" and 10".
If anyone has a mini female 6-7 years old or older that has bred multiple times, and still under 10"-12" I'd like to see it. I'm not saying they don't exist, but I have never seen one that I can recall. I've seen many 3-4 year old girls who have not bred or only bred once or twice that are 11"-12" and people call them mini. When they are clearly not even a Columbian fish lol.
mine are less thatn 12" .

Reactions: Jez1992

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
update. i have several females less than 12" the spots around the disc have no reference to the size of the ray. ive had rays with mixed spots both individual on the outer rim and mixed ie, chain linked.

Last edited:

SHARK13

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
Curious how to tell a Colombian Marble from a Venezuelen. My large female is Wild from Colombia. I ask to learn, so I know how to tell. (-:
If you look through some of Aquamans posts you can see really good examples of Columbian vs Venezuelan fish. His AAA marbles are Venezuelan and the mini's are Columbian.

SHARK13

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
update. i have several females less than 12" the spots around the disc have no reference to the size of the ray. ive had rays with mixed spots both individual on the outer rim and mixed ie, chain linked.
Mind sharing a bit more info on your fish? IE: pics, age, size, how many times they have been bred, ect?

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
If you look through some of Aquamans posts you can see really good examples of Columbian vs Venezuelan fish. His AAA marbles are Venezuelan and the mini's are Columbian.
Well one thing for sure my Colombian Marble is definitely not a mini at 17" now. LOL

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store