MARBLED/CALICO CONVICT BREEDERS - INFO / GENETICS THREAD

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Like Calico cats - males are VERY RARE, but they DO exist - and those that do exist, are sterile. Maybe in convicts, the gene is not fatal, but the gene itself is turned off in the females. Just a thought.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
"found" the first females in my batch today - orange bellies - marbled! At least one of the all pink ones is a male - so as you said, it's 100% not sex linked.

Next step is to do some back crosses.

coyotethug

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2005
Michigan
You are going to have issues first off because the male marbled you show is a hybrid with a hrp. I can tell you from experience it will show up in second generation wild type x calico cross. This means it is dominant or I had a bunch of het wild types.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Exactly. He has been told many times that his fish is a hybrid.

Mine are not, so the crosses / back crosses will help us further our understanding of convict and marbled genetics.

What was the offspring of your wild X calico type?

coyotethug

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2005
Michigan
All were wild type in coloration but about half had the calico gene (black blotching) as well. That is why I was thinking autosomal dominant for the blotching gene. I have also crossed pink with calico and got some calico babies as well all with white background color.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krustyart

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Here is a question I have thought recently about calico genetics. If you can get both pinks and calicoes in the same spawn then there are two mutations involved. Pink and Marble. So where are all the non-pink marbles? Marbles without the pink mutation. You know, gray background with marbling instead of bars. I saw one of that type many years ago at a fish farm in the breeding room when the marbled gene was first being bred commercially. Where are they now? Sorry if this is considered hijacking...

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
That's what I have asked before. There are no "black/white" marbled convicts.

Coyote - what do you mean by the black hets with blotches ? I need a pic of that please ! Did you line breed to confirm that they are truly hets, and the non-blotched ones were not?

krustyart

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
That's what I have asked before. There are no "black/white" marbled convicts.
I think there are. I saw them years ago when marbled cons first came out. You have to breed the calico to non-het wild types, back crossing to the wild type until you seperate the pink and the marble. Then you will see marbled black-n-grays. It's similiar to the albino Amazon(parrot) situation. It was not a single albino gene but rather two genes. One for "lutino" (making the green ino yellow) and one for "blue" (which by itself would make the green into blue but in a lutino made the yellow into white). Anyway since there are probably very few around to see now someone is just gonna have to do the back crosses to prove it. Which is what you should be doing anyway. If you really want to do the numbers to prove the type of inheritance you always cross the mutation back to a wild type with no hets, not to another mutation. And preferably to a wild caught F0. Ask any geneticist...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store