Marine Molly Community

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Hi Guys,

I have had a marine molly community for a week now. I have kept other fancy marine fish, corals, anemones before, but decided to sell everything and just do some something simple and easy.

Tank is 150L. Lights are cheap 2 USD each LEDS. Using a canister filter (sunsun304B, 2000LPH) and very small, internal skimmer.

The Mollies were originally fresh water when I got them, I bought 21. (7 Black, 7 white, 7 yellow/orange.)
Upon getting home I put them directly into low end brackish water (no acclimatization, didn't measure the salinity). 30 min later they were moved to high end brackish water (again didnt measure salinty, just put them straight in) and 15 min after this they went into full marine (34ppt).

They settled in pretty quickly, and went about their Molly business excitedly kissing rocks. These guys are the best algae eaters I have ever had. I left the tank empty for a week before getting them, with very strong white lights (200W + 200W LEDS) shining into the tank for 12 hours. They made short of every type of algae I had growing on the rocks/glass/pumps/skimmer etc.

One week later they have all survived, and there are so many babies swimming around. I noticed babies on the second day, so they were obviously pregnant in the LFS, but interestingly (for me at least) was that the babies were born quite big. Big enough that the other mollies cant eat them.
It was ages ago, but when I have had mollies breed in FW, the babies always seemed much smaller.

Marine Molly Aquarium - YouTube
Mollies in Marine - YouTube

IMG_20210202_180020.jpgIMG_20210202_180024.jpgIMG_20210202_180028.jpg

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
I saw molly in many marine aquariums along with coral fish to control algae. There aren't as many choice of saltwater algae eaters as in freshwater aquarium, and molly thrive in both. I heard that molly can jump from freshwater to full seawater without acclimation. I've seen also other livebearers such as swordtail and guppies in saltwater tanks too but don't think they are as good algae eater as molly.

I keep Sailfin Molly in my planted tank. Given so many choice of freshwater algae eaters, molly is often overlooked. Molly are good at picking filamentous algae on delicate plants that sucker mouth algae eaters typically omit. I have the wild type which I think are as attractive if not more than hybrid molly. One set back is that molly are short live fish, so by all means raise their babies for the next generation if you can.

What other marine fish are you thinking of adding. I can't see a molly only saltwater tank.

Molly.jpeg

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Nice! What about a small school of Bangaii Cardinaldish, or a Coral Croucher? I could see the molly only tank. Mollies are probably the cheapest saltwater fish ever!

Reactions: mattybecks

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Nice! What about a small school of Bangaii Cardinaldish, or a Coral Croucher? I could see the molly only tank. Mollies are probably the cheapest saltwater fish ever!
Feeder guppies are even cheaper (Mollies are better for saltwater though).:naughty:
I would say some sort of damsel (clown, damsel, chromis) would be nice. Cardinal and coral crouched would be cool also. Anything that isn’t a molly would help with population control.

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
I saw molly in many marine aquariums along with coral fish to control algae. There aren't as many choice of saltwater algae eaters as in freshwater aquarium, and molly thrive in both. I heard that molly can jump from freshwater to full seawater without acclimation. I've seen also other livebearers such as swordtail and guppies in saltwater tanks too but don't think they are as good algae eater as molly.

I keep Sailfin Molly in my planted tank. Given so many choice of freshwater algae eaters, molly is often overlooked. Molly are good at picking filamentous algae on delicate plants that sucker mouth algae eaters typically omit. I have the wild type which I think are as attractive if not more than hybrid molly. One set back is that molly are short live fish, so by all means raise their babies for the next generation if you can.

What other marine fish are you thinking of adding. I can't see a molly only saltwater tank.

View attachment 1450042
Very nice. I like the look of the natural/wild type too.

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Yes I paid what works out to 0.50 USD for one, so the most affordable SW fish I have ever got.
I was thinking about other stocking.
Maybe a pair of ocellaris clowns would look nice? The Banggai would too, but I would need a larger group to spread aggression.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store