Married People with Separate Monies

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
What do yall think about married people who keep separate bank accounts? Is it normal or strange for married folks to keep the money they make to themselves?
There is an advantage to it. There were collection people after me at one time. So, we opened an account just in her name and pulled nearly all out of my mine. Years later my wife put my name on her account(without me knowing it) and the collection agency got it. Don't ever use Bank of America, they will sell you out.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I don't think it's too weird. My parents have split accounts
Hendre Hendre is a perfect example of how odd marriages negatively affects their offsprings:D

Imsobored152

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
Palm Bay, Fl
Ours are joint money. Bank auto transfers X amount weekly into our bill account. Bills are all auto pay. Always enough to pay bills, and we dont need to worry about it. X amount also transfers to savings weekly. Whatever is left in checking is food, gas, or whatever money.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
We have several accounts, both our names are on all of them but we use them for different purposes, gas, groceries, mortgage, student loan, etc. She has an account she uses for her stuff and I have one for mine, easier to track and control spending imho
If something goes sideways we can do a transfer and have a discussion /planning meeting
26 year anniversary this summer by the way so I guess it's working okay

Reactions: koltsixx

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I know a guy who's a bit sensitive that his wife makes more bread than he does
My wife makes slightly more than me, and it really bothers me also............that she doesn't make significantly more than I do :(

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
My wife has her income, i have my income. All household bills are split down the middle and we pay equal towards them. Whatever each of us has left is our own money. It works fine for us. If she wants summat wifey she'll buy something wifey out of her money, if i want summat i go and get it out of my money. If we had joint bank accounts and i wanted to spend an obscene amount of money on my hobby there could be friction and likewise if she wanted something i didn't particularly think was a good idea. We earn similar amounts so we both have surplus after bills. Where this situation wouldn't work is where there was a big difference in earnings. That could be a big problem for some couples.

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
My wife makes more than me but we share our money. I'm a big spender so it's kind of good in a way. Now my brother n laws both have separate accts and it's so weird because for them it's my money not yours. I feel that's very selfish when your married and have kids!

Reactions: xraycer
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store