mastacembelus congicus - congo eel, not feeding

Humphreys91

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2012
England :)
Hi guys I picked up one these guys, very seldom seen in the hobby apparently, I assume they are similar to other spiny eels care wise. I’ve had this guy about 2 weeks and I’ve yet to see him eat, he’s on his own in a quarantine tank, pvc pipes and some wood, filter wise he’s got two sponge filters (large) and a large reactor running K1 media (1litre ish) running into a hang on the back refugium filled with bio balls, any tips on how to get him eating? I’ve tried bloodworm, frozen Krill and live earthworms, I’ve never known a fish to turn down earthworms but he is! Sorry for the terrible quality of photo!
Any advice???

6B5DC4CA-2CD6-4361-820E-A2C07BA19A94.jpeg

857747DF-2080-4CF7-9257-7E4DB0E1D4D8.jpeg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
These kind of eels are like this. Sensitive and stressed easily. Had several with similar probs. Some would and others just wouldn’t (passed away). Would wait it out and try feeding at night. I’d suggest live black worms or earthworms and can mix a little garlic with it. Great looking eel by the way!

Humphreys91

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2012
Hi guys, I’m leaving the live earthworms in there so he’s got all day and night to eat some have disappeared but I don’t know whether they are eaten or not, the bloodworm have been frozen, and at this minute I don’t know if I can get live bloodworm or blackworms :(, I’m led to believe they are called Congo eels, I don’t think they have a common name but the name I posted is the Latin name. Also what temp do you guys keep them? Mines currently 25.6c.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I’ve kept my eels at 78-80. Can order live black worms online. Try ur local fish clubs. Hope it recovers quickly.

Humphreys91

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2012
Thanks guys, I’ve got some black worms ordered so shouldn’t be too long before they arrive.i can’t believe how active during the day he is, I’m not sure if that’s a good or bad thing?

Reactions: tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Thanks guys, I’ve got some black worms ordered so shouldn’t be too long before they arrive.i can’t believe how active during the day he is, I’m not sure if that’s a good or bad thing?
It’s a good thing.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store