Media for Fluval Fx6 - Piraya Piranha

Thacarter54632

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2019
You need mechanical and biological. Chemical is optional, most only use it if you are removing meds or toxins on a temporary basis.

As for what type of media the best answer I can give is the kind you get the best deal on. You have more than enough capacity, so even a subpar bio media will do the trick.

Look for specials where the packaging is changing or the company went out of business.

My media stack right now is:
Fluval mechanical ceramic rings- got a ton of them super cheap when they changed the package years ago.
2 inch thick pond filtration foam (60 ppi iirc)-bought a bulk sheet it is 5 or 6 years old now
Biological is ceramic bio rings- the two brands I have ordered from are long since gone. I will reccomend ordering a sample size from the seller before putting a bulk order in.

FishBeast

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2016
Northwest Washington
www.youtube.com
Any media that multiplies surface area will do, like sponge, ceramic rings, even lava rocks for bio media in one FX6. Then use the other FX for mech filtration with layered sponge of increasing PPI and even polyester floss. Should make for a sparkling tank which has lots of additional bioload capacity

Reactions: tlindsey

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
You need mechanical and biological. Chemical is optional, most only use it if you are removing meds or toxins on a temporary basis.

As for what type of media the best answer I can give is the kind you get the best deal on. You have more than enough capacity, so even a subpar bio media will do the trick.

Look for specials where the packaging is changing or the company went out of business.

My media stack right now is:
Fluval mechanical ceramic rings- got a ton of them super cheap when they changed the package years ago.
2 inch thick pond filtration foam (60 ppi iirc)-bought a bulk sheet it is 5 or 6 years old now
Biological is ceramic bio rings- the two brands I have ordered from are long since gone. I will reccomend ordering a sample size from the seller before putting a bulk order in.
And do you have an FX6? I don't know much about different types of media and what would be best for the water. So if I only need biological and mechanical would I have to buy three separate baggies of things or just two? For the three levels I mean.

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Any media that multiplies surface area will do, like sponge, ceramic rings, even lava rocks for bio media in one FX6. Then use the other FX for mech filtration with layered sponge of increasing PPI and even polyester floss. Should make for a sparkling tank which has lots of additional bioload capacity
Would that way be better than having the same media in both? Or rather the same media setup in both?

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I personally would setup both with the same mechanical and bio media. You could even alternate maintaining them.
Would it be possible for you to provide links to some good media I could use for the layers? Like everything I would need? I'm out of my element even looking for good media as I really couldn't tell the difference.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
How big is the Piraya? And it’s one? Man your probably good to go with what ever it comes with...

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store