Media question? Kinda

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
Sorry I don't know how to explain this question xD I have a corner matten filter in a 20 long and iv squeeze a 100 watt heater, an air stone and a bag of media behind it, I originally put the air stone to help water move about the media but it makes a really annoying noise when the bubbles hit the bag, so do I need the air stone? I figured since the water that's behind the big matten sponge gets outputted through a jetlifter that the air stone is pointless.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Sorry I don't know how to explain this question xD I have a corner matten filter in a 20 long and iv squeeze a 100 watt heater, an air stone and a bag of media behind it, I originally put the air stone to help water move about the media but it makes a really annoying noise when the bubbles hit the bag, so do I need the air stone? I figured since the water that's behind the big matten sponge gets outputted through a jetlifter that the air stone is pointless.
Is there movement at the surface? That's where gas exchange happens. I only run airstones in one of my tanks, but that's bucause I run co2 in it. The others are filtered with HOBs or a sump.

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
Behind the matten sponge there is no surface breaking if I take the air stone out, but all that water behind the sponge gets pushed out, so I guess the real question is does media need water movement to have any benefit to growing bacteria?

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Behind the matten sponge there is no surface breaking if I take the air stone out, but all that water behind the sponge gets pushed out, so I guess the real question is does media need water movement to have any benefit to growing bacteria?
To my knowledge, no, but it does need flow to remove the ammonia from the tank.

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
To my knowledge, no, but it does need flow to remove the ammonia from the tank.
So water flows through the sponge and then gets outputted through a jetlifter, water is constantly flowing in and out from behind the matten sponge. Would that be enough?

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
I would keep the airstone behind the matten filter it helps. I do not have any of the noise you are describing wtih my 180g hmf filter.

Depending on your load, you probably dont even need the bio media behind the sponge.

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
I would keep the airstone behind the matten filter it helps. I do not have any of the noise you are describing wtih my 180g hmf filter.

Depending on your load, you probably dont even need the bio media behind the sponge.

I'll be keeping a f8 puffer and hopefully 5-8 bumblebee gobies, so bio load will be a bit high

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
How much have you tried moving the media bags around? I have 3 large media bags that were in AC110s sitting on top two high quality air stones that have tones of bubbles pushing through them. The only noise I hear is from the bubbles reaching the surface.

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
I believe it's from where the bag is positioned the air stone makes a pocket of air inside the bag and then it release making a gulping sound

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store