Meet Chappie

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
475894E6-1ECF-4CF7-8BC7-361A061A2940.jpeg this is my Albino red bellied pacu named Chappie, who ironically is the reason I stumbled across this site.

When I was a kid I had 2 red bellies pacu that I loved until they were 14” and 16” before I ended up giving to the lfs. I had no idea they got so big and fell into believing the myth about fish only growing to their surroundings.

Last Christmas my wife shared with me that she was planning to get me a fish tank because I had toyed with the idea for a few years but didn’t really do anything about it. I warned her that she was unleashing Pandora’s box. I only wanted fish if I could have pacus.....

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
When I finally got the go ahead that I had a tank lined up from an old friend who I had originally got into fish years ago, I went on a search throughout my city to find a pacu. The first place I went to told me that I may not find them because they grow so big. So I proceeded to the biggest store where I live. I searched through their 600+ tanks and saw nothing, but on my final lap of the last row of tanks I saw something on a ground level tank of misfits. (Picture above was then taken). I was so excited to find It, I found out the price and basically bought it on spot before realizing I had to pick up the tank and cycle the tank first etc... oops.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
So once I realized this I bought a couple jewel cichlids from a petsmart (Canada’s version of petco I think). Started the process of bumping into all sorts of challenges. Then after finally getting the tank running for a few days with fish still living I brought chappie home. As I was getting there him bagged, I asked the person how big of a tank I needed to keep him.

They told me 300 gallons. I was like wtf. That’s huge. How is that possible, I had them in a 66 when I was a kid. Then they asked the manager and he said 400 gal. And I was getting nervous. But I took it home and decided we need a bigger tank by next year so I have some time.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
So I get home and start reading about these guys and every article says the same thing. I got this pacu from Walmart for $5 and it was the size of a quarter and a year later it’s 16”. I was like wtf. Omg. This is crazy. What have I got myself into. I need a bigger tank soon.

So I immediately started looking at bigger tanks to my wife’s concern. Within a few months he had already started to outgrow the 70 that he started in and was moved into a 180.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Love the pacu and parrot.
I kept 10 red parrots with my cichlas for a long time. Also named them but the mean cichla guys said only girls name their fish. I don't keep cichlas anymore.
Lol I am now just getting into cichlas. And tbh my wife was the one who started naming the fish. It was foreign to me but now I’m getting used to it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store