mesoheros festae availability uk

Tommytipper87

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2017
England/devon
so i've been looking around online and i can't find any of these available let alone wild caught. am in the uk south west and was wondering if there's any uk breeders out there who would ship if they had any or just someone who has a pair and wants to move them on. fish in picture not mine.

red-terror.jpg

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Nice fish, I can see why you would want some.
im not sure he is on here much anymore but Andy woods cichlids uk Andy woods cichlids uk might be able to help.
Possibly esoxlucius esoxlucius might know of someone too.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Just did a really quick search. Punched in 'buying festae cichlids in uk' and a place called Sims Tropicals came up. £40 for a 5cm festae with a £20 delivery fee. That was just a very quick search, no doubt further digging would reveal other suppliers.

I can't vouch for ANY online uk suppliers of fish as I never buy fish online. If I want fish which my local LFS doesn't stock I simply ask the owner if they can get me what I want shipped in with their next order. Have you asked your local LFS if they can get them, they're hardly rare, shouldn't be too difficult.

Reactions: Tommytipper87

Tommytipper87

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2017
England/devon
Just did a really quick search. Punched in 'buying festae cichlids in uk' and a place called Sims Tropicals came up. £40 for a 5cm festae with a £20 delivery fee. That was just a very quick search, no doubt further digging would reveal other suppliers.

I can't vouch for ANY online uk suppliers of fish as I never buy fish online. If I want fish which my local LFS doesn't stock I simply ask the owner if they can get me what I want shipped in with their next order. Have you asked your local LFS if they can get them, they're hardly rare, shouldn't be too difficult.
yes i have but they never get back to me.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Just a heads up, the photo you posted above appears to be a pair in breeding dress/color.
If you get a pair, and they are compatible, you may see this intense coloration regularly, or if you get just one, you may not.
That coloration is not always the norm.
Below is a female, without a male in the tank.
1612092126706.png
Now below, that same female with a male in the tank.
1612092233776.png
Below, a normal colored male, not in breeding dress
1612092316855.png

1612092189739.png

Attachments

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
i did just take a look at that site and 40 for 1 not being wild caught seemed overpriced
Those prices may very well be rather steep but I look at it this way. If you get a breeding pair of festae and they're regularly putting on colour displays as in your picture, then i'd pay TWICE that amount, lol. In breeding dress they're pretty much up their with the most attractive fish in the hobby, they give marine fish a run for their money colour wise imo.

Remember, i only give you one example of a supplier, with very little effort. I have no doubt that there are dozens of UK suppliers if you do some leg work. And that leg work may very well pay off with a much cheaper supplier. Good luck.

Humphreys91

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2012
England :)
I’d steer clear of sims personally, the shop when I visited was horrible, if you search for the fish barn (Facebook) the guy who owns the shop Elliot is fantastic and does have some un sexed juvies in stock.

Humphreys91

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2012
England :)
Just a heads up, the photo you posted above appears to be a pair in breeding dress/color.
If you get a pair, and they are compatible, you may see this intense coloration regularly, or if you get just one, you may not.
That coloration is not always the norm.
Below is a female, without a male in the tank.
View attachment 1449452
Now below, that same female with a male in the tank.
View attachment 1449454
Below, a normal colored male, not in breeding dress
View attachment 1449455

View attachment 1449453
I’m really pleased you posted this! I was under the impression the females always have the nice colours, not just in breeding dress.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store