Mexico Trip Photos

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
My wife and I went to Mexico (Mismaloya, South of Puerto Vallarta) last week for her birthday. These first pix are from the Vallarta Zoo, a small zoo located in Mismaloya.

We got to play with a six-week-old Jaguar cub this trip. In March we held a six-month-old Tiger, the little Jaguar was much more fun (and less dangerous!). When we first got there he was sleeping, but it didn't take him long to get frisky! The puppy is his little playmate, they were rolling around in my lap together :)

The zoo is the primary (only?) organization promoting wildlife conservation in the area and their big cat breeding program is their main source of income, so please don't flame me for commercializing wildlife.

The bird is a Crested Caracara. We saw a wild one of these on a Road Trip last spring, it was a very cool sighting.

I have dial-up, so I'll post the pictures a few at a time...

trip1.jpg

trip2.jpg

trip3.jpg

trip4.jpg

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
Los Arcos (The Arches) is a group of rocks a few hundred yards offshore in the Banderas Bay. The water was murky due to torrential rains, but warm as bathwater (my wife had to take off her wetsuit it was so warm). I'm curious if anyone can I.D. the grouper-like fish.

We go out with a small dive shop called Mismaloya Divers. We pay $50.00 USD for two tanks and two hours of boat-time, about a third of what it would cost in the states. The owner, Chipol, is a friend. He usually sends his son, Cristian, to drive the boat. He's 19 now, but he started taking us out when he was 12!

trip5.jpg

trip6.jpg

trip7.jpg

trip8.jpg

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
Thanks for the comments, it was a great trip, but too short at only five nights!

After the dive Cristian pointed out a fruit hanging from a cactus on the rocks. Before I knew it, I was driving the boat and he was climbing the rocks. What he brought back was the most incredible fruit I've ever tasted! The color was insane, but the flavor was indescribably delicious. I'm kicking myself for forgetting the name of it. It is a little bit like a Prickly Pear Fruit or a Pitaya, but a LOT sweeter and tastier.

trip9.jpg

trip10.jpg

trip11.jpg

trip12.jpg

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
JD7.62;2023647; said:
WOW the color of the that fruit is AMAZING!
Yeah, it literally GLOWED in the sunlight! It tasted as good as it looked, too :)

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
Some odds & ends:

A corral with a nice cinder cone in the background.

The best $1.00 pineapples around!

A huge Apex inflatable boat dropping people off at the beach below the condo.

My wife at Playa el Negrito.

trip13.jpg

trip14.jpg

trip15.jpg

trip16.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store