Midas and RTM journey

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
High river Alberta Canada
Dont know if anyone really cares to see but I'm gonna post this thread anyways as I beleive these 2 young cichlids have alot of potential, my final tank... no more changes... hadto rehome alot of fish when I took down the tanks and tried hard to keep my favourites but ended up with only my first fish I bought( my jack dempsey) and got these little guys to grow together with her

My 5 inch Midas I named Tug boat
And
My 5 inch RTM I named Bundy

Dont ask.. let's just say I loved wrestling as a child and always wanted to name my fish after these 2 awsome characters lolol

InShot_20190801_165659771.jpg

20190801_170034.jpg

20190801_170031.jpg

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Interesting mix, just curious what size of tank they are going to be in? Good luck with them!

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
Interesting mix, just curious what size of tank they are going to be in? Good luck with them!
They are in a 210 gallon tank... the jack can hold her own.. actually used to be a pain in my *** but has calmed down... doesnt bother the young new guys!
I am hopeing the midas and rtm growing together will help establish a hierarchy early on and reduce problems I may have later on down the road
Also dithers are an option if needed.. something hardy and tough like giant danios to spread aggression (yes I know they'll be food at one point)... if things get out of hand I will havto rehome one of the 2 new guys as the jack is a lifer in my tank.
I've always wanted a midas .. actually was one of the 2 options when I got the jack as my first cichlid.
RTM is also a favourite watching spacejams videos of his RTM named candyman a few years ago (an absolute beast).
I only rehome fish to people I know have appropriate accommodations and do so free... I dont ask for 50 bucks for my fish I originally paid 10 bucks for to some random with a 30 gallon stuffed with 20 cichlids.
Hope you continue to watch the thread RD. RD. as your probably my favourite member to gain knowledge on this hobby

Hope you enjoy!

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I think that this has a good chance to work out long term, I sure hope so. I will for sure be following your progress. Best of luck!

I only rehome fish to people I know have appropriate accommodations and do so free..
That's a great way to approach this hobby, I have done the same for many years. Good on ya, and thanks for the kind words.

Reactions: Matteus

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
I think that this has a good chance to work out long term, I sure hope so. I will for sure be following your progress. Best of luck!

That's a great way to approach this hobby, I have done the same for many years. Good on ya, and thanks for the kind words.
I hope so too! Would be a dream to keep these guys together for life... I have my doubts aswell though, if the midas is female it may work unless the RTM pairs with one of the 2 females and all hell breaks loose.. then I'll definitely rehome the odd female out.
If both the midas and RTM are male... well ,who knows if itll work or not... 210 gallons is decent but for 2 big brutes you just never know right!
Time will tell and all will be posted on the forum for advice and criticism alike

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
Just wanted to ask a question...

Is there a difference is color and size/shape dependent on local of Motaguense? Between Honduras and Guatemala as some videos I've watched from more experienced fish Keepers keep saying.. either red tiger or gold tiger
I always see a few differences in shape and size between those 2 colors.. although I could be wrong! The red always seems to be taller and chubbier as the gold or yellow looks more slender... enlighten me someone please lol I cant find any actual proof on google.

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018

Short update on these guys...
Everyone is healthy and happy.. the amph is a blast to keep.. huge appetite I've never seen anything like it lol.. got a 3 beacon pleco from Matteus Matteus (Thanks brother) little bastard loves I him some massivore haha too bad it needs to be spot fed or itll never get a crumb and the mota is beautiful! Excited to see these guys turn into monsters

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store