Midas question

Ilikebigfish88

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2015
NY
So I'm considering purchasing a Midas from someone. It's been in a 55 gallon and is 3 years old. Around 8 inches. Do you think that it could be stunted? What would I look for to see if it is? And do you think it would grow in a larger tank (120 gallons)?

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
Generally, my understanding is that it's not tank size that stunts a fish, but the water quality. That is to say, a smaller tanks water quality goes bad so much faster, that's why fish in smaller tanks are often stunted. That being said, being moved to good water quality should promote growth. That's my basic understanding, I could be off though.

Reactions: Ilikebigfish88

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Basically, what burphy said is true. Fish release hormones which can stunt their growth, and in a smaller tank with less water to dilute them, their growth will be hindered. If you put the fish in a larger tank with good water quality, there is a good chance it will grow more. 3 years is quite a while to remain at 8" however, and the fish may not grow any larger. This could also just be due to gender and genetics (could just be a smaller female) as well.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
If it's 8 inches at 3 years old, I don't think it's stunted. It could just be a female--8 inches would be a pretty healthy size for a female Midas, I think.

What you'd look for is--I'd say "proportions". Is the fish thick, and stocky, or lanky and kinda skinny? At 3 years old, a Midas should look like a tank, a full back.

Is the fish's eyes in the right proportion to the rest of its body? If its eyes just look a little too big, or buggy, and that's because its body just hasn't really filled in completely yet, it's "stunted".

I'd say after 3 years, you pretty much have what you have with this fish. If it looks good and thick now, it may get a little thicker. If it looks kinda skinny and under developed now, then it's been dealing with very adverse conditions for years. that takes its toll.

The fish will certainly do better in a 120 after living in a 55, and it'll show after 6-12 months. But don't expect that it'll go in your 120 Gallon, and put on another 6 inches and become a MONSTER because you put it in a bigger tank.

Perhaps it'll put on more girth, and grow another inch or two over the next year, in a bigger tank? I'm guessing, but that seems possible.

Ilikebigfish88

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2015
NY
If it's 8 inches at 3 years old, I don't think it's stunted. It could just be a female--8 inches would be a pretty healthy size for a female Midas, I think.

What you'd look for is--I'd say "proportions". Is the fish thick, and stocky, or lanky and kinda skinny? At 3 years old, a Midas should look like a tank, a full back.

Is the fish's eyes in the right proportion to the rest of its body? If its eyes just look a little too big, or buggy, and that's because its body just hasn't really filled in completely yet, it's "stunted".

I'd say after 3 years, you pretty much have what you have with this fish. If it looks good and thick now, it may get a little thicker. If it looks kinda skinny and under developed now, then it's been dealing with very adverse conditions for years. that takes its toll.

The fish will certainly do better in a 120 after living in a 55, and it'll show after 6-12 months. But don't expect that it'll go in your 120 Gallon, and put on another 6 inches and become a MONSTER because you put it in a bigger tank.

Perhaps it'll put on more girth, and grow another inch or two over the next year, in a bigger tank? I'm guessing, but that seems possible.
Was told it is a male. Here are the pics I was sent.

image.jpeg

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
If REEEEAAAAAALLLLY squint, I can kinda see ,that fish looks OK to me.

I don't know, or believe, anything I'm told or think, about fish gender anymore.

I have a female (I watched her lay eggs) barred midas, about 2-3 years old, it's 8 inches. About the same amount of hump as the fish in your picture.

Who knows. Put that fish in a bigger tank, see what happens. It looks good to me, though.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Stunted or not, he or she won't do much growing after three years.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store