Midas Spawn in 540 Gallon

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Thanks, ya'll. Yeah, I netted half the fry out of the first spawn and put them in a 20 gallon. I left the other half with the parents in the 540. Their numbers are slowly dwindling, but they grow a lot faster in there with the parents. The parents started laying today, and I think they're eating the fry from the first batch when they come by the eggs.

So, how many times are they gonna spawn? They just keep spawning over and over until they're too old to spawn or something? will they quit after a couple spawns, and then start back up again in a couple months? Is there a time of year when they spawn? How does this work?

Cause if they just keep spawning over and over from now on, I'm gonna separate them. I can't have thousands of fish, and they're kinda hard on the rest of the fish in the tank when there's eggs and fry.

Reactions: jaws7777

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Thanks, ya'll. Yeah, I netted half the fry out of the first spawn and put them in a 20 gallon. I left the other half with the parents in the 540. Their numbers are slowly dwindling, but they grow a lot faster in there with the parents. The parents started laying today, and I think they're eating the fry from the first batch when they come by the eggs.

So, how many times are they gonna spawn? They just keep spawning over and over until they're too old to spawn or something? will they quit after a couple spawns, and then start back up again in a couple months? Is there a time of year when they spawn? How does this work?

Cause if they just keep spawning over and over from now on, I'm gonna separate them. I can't have thousands of fish, and they're kinda hard on the rest of the fish in the tank when there's eggs and fry.
Lmao my Midas spawned for 1.5 years and laid eggs every month about 1-2k fish every spawn. I sold way too many and too many just get eaten lol

every couple is different my female said no more and she got killed.

I also have another Midas who spawned once and stopped and 6 months later she's spawning again so it can be random but I had my Midas do it for a very long time.

Good luck and separate them or get some fish condoms

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington

Lmaoo !!!

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia

u can try dropping the temperature down to the minimal accepted low for the time being, that might stop them or at least put some more time between spawns

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
u can try dropping the temperature down to the minimal accepted low for the time being, that might stop them or at least put some more time between spawns
I tried that didn't stop my pair. I divided them as well he broke through two lighting diffusers. I had it as low as 70 and never worked

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I tried that didn't stop my pair. I divided them as well he broke through two lighting diffusers. I had it as low as 70 and never worked
I dropped my Convicts down to 66F and they stopped. Dropped the Geophagus brasilliensis pair down to 66F and they never bred either, and they WERE in the process of pairing up at 78F, but I had to move them or they would have killed everything else in the tank....they were already going after the Gymno and just the smaller female's aggression alone was enough to make me say "HEY.....I gotta move these....like TODAY.......or else" lol

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
I couldn't get my tank at a lower temp I wish I could but couldn't lol I mean I could add some ice but would raise up eventually due to room temps

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store