Molly Guppy X Breeding

Druu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2007
Notre Dame, IN
Rivermud;1431501; said:
Platys and Swords crossbreed quite readilly. Guppies and Mollies do breed, but the breeding results are not worth the effort. I've seen some pictures of some nice looking fry from a Male Molly X Female Guppy cross.. however they did not survive. Infact I have only heard of a few of these ever surviving from either type of cross male to female or female to male.
Can you post the pics?

chicken_boy_Kurt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2008
PA, USA
It should be possible since they are both Poecilia.

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
If i come across them again I will.. theres a couple of websites with them up but they require membership.. All i know is that the effort isn't worth it.

dzb912

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2007
illinois
get the mollie a little smaller
might be easier
but u wont get as many fry
that would be awsome to see tho

mlowe22

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2007
Michigan
Thanks for everyone's input. I would like to breed guppies one day when I would have something to do with them. I have had platy/sword crosses quite often without the intention and came across the gup/mol idea and thought it was crazy. I guess if it happens it happens. I have a beautiful male guppy in my tank right now and with all my molly fry I was wondering if it could happen. I guess will get the poor guy a woman (or two haha) of his own kind and maybe that will begin my guppy breeding phase. If I go through with my gollies I will certainly let you all know!!
And hey if I do take it on at least I will have the relief that it won't be similar to breeding humans and gorillas!

Druu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2007
Notre Dame, IN
mlowe22;1434027; said:
Thanks for everyone's input. I would like to breed guppies one day when I would have something to do with them. I have had platy/sword crosses quite often without the intention and came across the gup/mol idea and thought it was crazy. I guess if it happens it happens. I have a beautiful male guppy in my tank right now and with all my molly fry I was wondering if it could happen. I guess will get the poor guy a woman (or two haha) of his own kind and maybe that will begin my guppy breeding phase. If I go through with my gollies I will certainly let you all know!!
And hey if I do take it on at least I will have the relief that it won't be similar to breeding humans and gorillas!
Only because of reclassifications! :ROFL: Best of luck to you though- and you better post pics if you succeed!

aquariumguy2300

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2007
Massachusetts
I cross bred mollies with guppies a while ago. The result was all but 1 fry dying of defected fins, and the one that did survive looks more like a female guppy with a little too much color on it. I wouldn't recommend trying it because the muppy or golly that I have is blind in her right eye.

Alistriwen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
The funny thing is that despite the experience of hundreds of others who have tried before, and the foreknowledge that it wont yield results people will still go ahead and create these unhappy little fish for their own amusement.

aquariumguy2300

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2007
Massachusetts
Alistriwen;1434902; said:
The funny thing is that despite the experience of hundreds of others who have tried before, and the foreknowledge that it wont yield results people will still go ahead and create these unhappy little fish for their own amusement.
I didn't breed them on purpose. I had a male guppy and a female molly and they bred. I wouldn't try to breed them. My muppy is perfectly happy and healthy (Except for its blindness in its left eye)

I cross bred mollies with guppies a while ago. The result was all but 1 fry dying of defected fins, and the one that did survive looks more like a female guppy with a little too much color on it. I wouldn't recommend trying it because the muppy or golly that I have is blind in her right eye.
I checked my muppy and it's accually blind in its left eye, not the right. (not that it matters)

Boston guppy

Feeder Fish
May 26, 2008
Boston
I just joined this fourm when I saw this thread. I have breed male guppies with a female sailfin molly in my community tank. The first batch was a dozen and all of them are healthy at 3 months old and almost 1" long. They are just starting to show some good color. A lot of them have two different color eyes but they seem perfectly healthy. My female just gave birth to about 40 more Gollies a week ago and all of them are alive and doing well. I have read that they will be mules but I guess I will find out when they are a little more mature. I will post pictures when they are a little larger.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store