Molly Guppy X Breeding

Ja1983

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2008
NE England
Hi, i`ve just joined after reading this page, i`ve had limited luck with mollies (i NOW know they are brackish.. but didnt at the time)

however, two did really well, one was a particularly large black male, and was was a partcularly small white/pearl one

The last was the one who made it the longest.. about 1yr.. but in his short time he seems to have had a fling with a guppy, and produced what is best described as a sailfin guppy, with the colours of the default female (greenish grey) with very light blue dorsel and tail, its a male, and getting to some size, although hes about 4mth old now... so far he`s produced no offspring, and isnt likely to, as i suspect he may be responsible for the dissapearance of all of my male guppies (some fantastic examples too) and as such, i`ve moved the remaining females to another tank..

he is in perfect health, no visable defects, and (just like his dad) will display to anything female in the tank!

he does still have a shoal of platies for company, which he doesnt seem as interested in, although it would be interesting to see if he could produce a guplatolly!

i dont want to play frankenstein, and if there was any issues (such as the vanishing males, i`ll do something about it.. but as all fish are happy, i will let them do what comes natural.

Pics to follow.. although its not easy taking a pic of a very active fish, with a cheap camera!

Ja

Bethany

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2007
Erie, PA
my guppy and platy mated, and i got a patch of quite unattractive, yet to my dismay hardy fish lol.

i tried to give some to my old cray once. and he always regrew him tail and all the others got eaten or died. i dumped him in my mom's pond and he's still living healthier than ever!! lol

Ja1983

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2008
NE England
i will try over the next few days - the light is off now, and if i put it on they will only think its feeding time!

craig_uk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2008
Hull, UK
Not to rain on the parade... but hell, im getting good at it.

You shouldn't be letting guppies breed with other live bearers.

Platies and swords is a strange one as it seems their are just two members of the same genus, very closely related.

The male guppies insemination fin (cant be bothered to google its name, sorry :D) is actually hooked (as is the elder's) and it is known to do damage to the internal organs of other live bearers (and on many occassions females guppies).

So, im not saying its not possible, but its a little inhumane.

By the way, "letting nature take its course" and allowing the two to breed would be like being locked in a room with a horny gorrilla. (do like that analogy) Aquariums aint natural places. wouldn't happen in the wild.

...(Sorry, pointless fact alert) only one species will actively cross breed. that's the (and this is where the waters get murky) Amazon molly. (not common ones you see mind) They are an all female species of molly who will actively breed with other members of the same genus, but the young will inherit no traits from the father, being, in essence clones of the mother. the new DNA provides enough new material to avoid genetic problems, but it seems, is filtered out when deserning gender and appearance.

My suggestion would be to get a few more guppies, a few more mollies and see if what comes of their breeding antics.

Best of luck
Craggy

bigspizz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
craig_uk;2092592; said:
By the way, "letting nature take its course" and allowing the two to breed be like being locked in a room with a horny gorrilla.

:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL::ROFL:

rainbowfishpc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2008
Some town
I'd like to know more about this breeding of guppies and mollies. I like breeding fish.

Ja1983

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2008
NE England
have tried on a few occasions to take a decent pic, but its just not going as i planned!

I`m also suspicious that he could be a culprit for missing fish... male guppies have been wiped out all bar one.... quite annoed as i bought 3 particularly stunning males last week, no susrvivors, but also "parts" which is odd.

Zorromi

Feeder Fish
Feb 3, 2009
Finland
I might have one of those guppy-molly hybrids. In a finnish fish forum we have tried to clarify what fish it is and any of possible species doesn't match perfectly. I found this topic from google and decided to ask what you think this might be.

So, the possible species are Guppy, Molly and swordtail and molly x gyppy hybrid. No-one told me that molly and guppy might breed together so I have both of them in my aquarium. Well, not anymore. I moved mollies to other tank.

Here is some pictures of that fish:
http://kuvablogi.com/nayta/1710858/
http://kuvablogi.com/nayta/1710859/
http://kuvablogi.com/nayta/1710860/

I have blond guppies in the tank where mollies also were and the color fits except those spots and black belly area. Blonde guppy is like that: http://kuvablogi.com/nayta/1716566/

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store